Craftsman 22" mower broken

Old 07-05-02, 04:56 PM
Unhappy Craftsman 22" mower broken

I have a Sears Craftsman 22" mulcher mower. My grass was way to high back in June so I mowed it. I accidently ran over an oleander stump. It bent the blade and I replaced it. I used a universal one that I got from Sears hardware. I've mowed a few times since then and it seemed o.k. until today. I was mowing the back yard and the grass was very high and a little moist. It started cutting unevenly and I stopped the mower and it made a horrible noise. The blade wobbled loose and wore the nipples on the blade adapter. so the blade was not stationary any more. I went back to sears and got a aftermarket blade adapter and new blade. Put them on and now I can't get it started. You pull the cord a few times it sounds o.k. then you pull again and it makes a rattling noise and the engine pulls back on the pull cord before you can pull it all the way out. I think something is bent. Where should I start? Pull engine? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-02, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
You might have killed it unfortunately. Lots of possiblities for broke internal parts when you hit a solid object with a running mower (been there, done that!). Try taking the blade off and remove the spark plug. Now try pulling the engine through. If it jams or won't turn freely, possible bent/broken cranskshaft or broke connecting rod among other possibilities.

One other thing you can do is drain the oil and check for metal pieces which would be a sure sign of failure.

Old 07-07-02, 05:06 AM
Be sure and tie the plug wire back so that it does not ignite any excess gas that may be in the cylinder, or tape it off good.

Old 07-07-02, 10:07 AM
tried that

Blade spins freely no metal in oil. engine won't start. seems to have good spark any other Ideas. Almost like it is loading up with too much fuel.

Old 07-07-02, 01:33 PM
The timing key is broken and the engine is out of time. That is why it won't start and it pulls the cord back. You need to pull the flywhell cap off and pick up the large washer that is under the nut. Look to see it the two parts of the keyway are lines up. If they are you probably bent the crank. The crank may be bent also, but see if the key is either pushed or is sheared altogether.

Old 07-07-02, 05:15 PM
I agree about the timimg key in the shaft. I had tried 2 or 3 times to reply to this post and had mentioned that but kept getting knocked off. I thought I would at least warn you about the excess gas igniting if the wire sparked if not tied back taped off. Hope you are lucky and the keyed just sheared as it is supposed to do to protect the crankshaft.

Old 07-07-02, 06:12 PM
sheared key

Thanks guys the key was sheared clean off. will try and find parts locally tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-08-02, 05:01 AM
Glad we could help. The only thing to see now is if the crankshaft is bent. When you get itto start and if it shakes a lot, the crank is bent. A lot of the Craftsmans are prone to that,especially if the crankshat is lon beneath the deck.