Miter Saw Blades

Old 07-17-02, 01:18 PM
Rae
Unhappy Miter Saw Blades

I recently changed out my Delta 10" miter saw blade from the original blade it came with; "smooth-cut combination" to a new Freud 10" Finishing carbide blade(40 teeth thin kerf). The blade face touts "Advanced Anti-Kickback Design". But it kicks horrible
when I make simple cross-cuts to 2x4's. What am I doing wrong?
What is the best use for this blade? I am getting ready(no cuts yet) to rebuild my deck with straight cross-cuts and will change blade back to the original. This Freud blade is scary. I must put on metal armor and a helmet and send the kids and dog across the culdesac when using.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-02, 02:46 PM
chukmac
Visiting Guest
Rae--Just an idea--Sounds like the blade may be installed backward--Cutting edge of teeth should turn toward the fence of the saw

chuck

Old 07-17-02, 06:44 PM
Rae
Yes, that was my first thought when it started kicking. The blade teeth are pointing down at the front with the brand name off my left hand as I stand in front of the saw. The plain side faces the motor to the right. It is a mystery to me?? The Freud blade have rectangle "feet" off each tooth about 1/8" thick. These "feet" seem to thick when they grab the wood and it kicks. I have since changed out to the first blade and started cuts for my deck. My Delta is a beautiful thing!!! It IS true love!

Old 09-04-02, 07:29 AM
What is the hook degree on the blade? My understanding is that blades for Radial arm saws and Miter saws need a low degree, or even a negative degree hook to minimize or eliminate kickback. I believe that they're designed a bit differently from the blades you normally find in 10" table saws, for instance.

Old 09-05-02, 08:49 AM
moechris
Visiting Guest
I have started to wonder about freud

I have a 10" Dewalt and to be able to have extremely clean edges on the hardwood flooring I was/am installing, I bought a $100 + Freud 92 teeth something something. Everything went fine for a while and then I started to notice the rear top edge of the cut starting to fray. When I looked at the blade two of the teeth seemed broken/bent.

Anyway, back to the original Dewalt blade and it has been working wonderfully.

Old 09-12-02, 11:29 AM
svt
Visiting Guest
Freudian slip maybe?...