Wireless Camera Remotes for Security

Old 09-20-02, 02:54 PM
cfrlaw
Visiting Guest
Wireless Camera Remotes for Security

Greetings!

I am looking for experiences or information on those wireless remote security camera systems that I have seen advertised. I am looking at the ones that allow you to place the wireless cameras around your property and then view activities through a TV VCR or even through the internet. An example of such a system can be found at this site: http://ads.x10.com/msn/jennie.htm

Are these things legitimate? It seems too easy to be for real. How long do the batteries work on these cameras or are they plugged into an independent electrical source?

If you have had any experience with these systems or with other systems and can provide any insights, I'd appreciate it. I am buying a house on a large piece of land in a city. The property has a garage at the far end, and I was thinking about putting one of these cameras at the far end so that I could have some security for the property.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
Cynthia

Old 09-20-02, 06:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cynthia,

I've looked into them, but have not purchased yet.
What I've seen are hard wired(110 volts) cameras for the power supply.
Your biggest problem (in wireless) will be the distance between your buildings. You may have to string coax for the video signal.

fred

Old 09-22-02, 12:27 PM
Zack A
Visiting Guest
These are for real, and are a great price. how X-10 units work is you will have a transmitter built in to your camera and a receiver at your T.V., but as said by fewalt find out your distance restrictions, typically around 500' they also sell units that send a signal through your homes electrical wiring the problem you might have is you may get some interferance but there are units X-10 sell to compisate for that. these units are best for simple residential settings, I' have done many wireless units for commercial applications but your looking at $4000. to $5000. per set up. if all your wanting to do is watch your garage area this will work just fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: