New home monitoring

Old 02-07-03, 10:14 PM
russ2000
Visiting Guest
New home monitoring

I am going to move into a new house end of this month.
The buider is installing the alarm system. So iI need to subscribe to a monitoring company. Can someone tell me if any of the company out there can monitor my house with the builder installed alarm system?
Can NextAlarm or Safewatch can monitor a wired system that my builder is putting in.
Thanks in advance.

Old 02-08-03, 08:48 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This really depends on the company that puts the alarm in for the builder, and what type of system they use. First of all, pretty much any alarm (with the exception of proprietary systems - ADT, Brinks, etc.) can be monitored by any company. The problem is when the installing company "locks out" the programming from other companies. In other words, without their codes, you can't do any programming. Now, there are ways around this code, depending on the type of system. Until you know more about what type of system is being put in and what's been done to it (as far as locking out programming, programming installer codes, programming account numbers, etc - or if it's proprietary or not) I really couldn't tell you if anyone (other than the installing company) can monitor it or not.

What you really need to do is talk to the builder, and make it explicitly clear that you do not want the system monitored by the company he uses (which I'll bet he either owns, partly owns, or gets a kick-back from) and that you want to be able to access programming. Otherwise, you will not be paying for the system (since essentially, you will have to pay for a new system if his is locked-out.)

Even if you can't get the builder to agree to this, let them put in the system, maybe we can do something with it. If nothing else, you will probably only need to change the Control Panel anyway, which shouldn't be more than about $100. If it's proprietary, you may end up changing keypads too.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

One question: what area are you in? I may know some companies in that area that could help you work with the builder.

Old 02-08-03, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Find out a little about the company that installed it. Many builders are now putting in alarm systems, using reputable local dealers. And many builders are going to choose a company that does a good job and won't let him down, though some will just try to find the cheapest, and just want to say they have an alarm system.

If it's a good company, and the price is fair - about $20.00 a month, then I would stick with them. They know what you have and how it was done. And they should be warranting the system, at least 90 days labor and 1 to 5 years on the equipment. This will vary by device & manufacturer. If you use a different company to monitor it, it may void labor warranties and they may not be able to get the equipment warrantied.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: