Doorbell

Old 02-20-03, 08:05 AM
B
BGH
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Doorbell

I hope I am asking this in the right section, but I have recently had some problems with the doorbell to my home. The house was built in 1951, but am not sure how old this system is.

The problem: when someone used the doorbell last, it "stuck" so that there was a continuous buzzing sound. The button itself didn't stick, there was just a continuous noise. This noise was not the normal doorbell sound, and did not come from the chime set up near the front door. I traced this noise down to my basement, and was coming from a possible re-lay unit. I disconnected one of the wires to this unit, eliminating the noise but effectively terminating my doorbell.

Any ideas as to what caused this problem? Do I need a new system? Are they easy to install? Or do I simply need a new relay unit?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

BGH

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-03, 09:25 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds like you may have an older door bell, I'm not real familiar with them. But you should be able to install a new one with no problems. I'm not sure if the older bells use a transformer or not, but new ones do. It's a 110V to 16V transformer that's usually installed at the chime, but you can install it in the basement (I'm thinking that may be what you disconnected in the basement.)

Grab a doorbell kit from Home Depot (or wherever) and it should have instructions on how to install it. It's pretty straight-forward. If you're not comfortable installing all this yourself, try a wireless doorbell. These come in 2 varieties - plug-in chime (no batteries) and a battery-operated chime. Of course, you'll probably want the plug-in, so that you don't have to change batteries. I think you can get a wireless now for about $20-30. Which is about the same as a regular chime. Of course, your push-button is going to have batteries either way.

Hope this helps. If you have some more questions, feel free to ask.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-03, 10:16 AM
B
BGH
Thanks for the suggestion.

BGH