security system installation

Old 02-21-03, 10:52 AM
tmorash
Visiting Guest
security system installation

I am in the process of choosing a security system for my home. As the home is over a hundred years old, I have decided that a wireless system would be best suited for my needs. However, I am concerned about the control panel being powered by a plug in adaptor. It seems to me that having a plug in adaptor is a bit rinky dink. Anyone could quickly unplug it and take out the backup batteries. Also, I do not feel that it would look that good in my entryway. Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to have a hardwired control panel with wireless sensors. Access to power at the point where I want to install the control panel is not a problem. Also, if hardwiring the control panel only is possible, what systems do your recommend. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-03, 11:11 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tmorash, welcome to DIY.com.

To answer your question bluntly, yes, most hardwire systems support wireless devices. However, most require an add-on wireless receiver to accomplish this.

If you look through the forum, you will see many post about ITI. ITI, which was recently bought-out by GE, makes a system called the Concord Express. This system has 6 hardwired zones, plus a 16-zone wireless receiver standard. It actually runs about the same price as other systems that do not have wireless.

I personally have installed hundreds of these systems in the 2-3 years they have been on the market (I don't do many installations myself anymore, otherwise I would be in the thousands by now.)

Programming with this system is a breeze, it's all in plain english and nothing complicated about it. Anyone can program one.

If you would like to take a look at the Concord, <a href="http://64.49.194.64/products/cncdexpress.jsp">try this link</a>.

If you want more information on the Concord, or any other panel, let me know. I have used, or worked on, most of the major brands of panels (DSC, Ademco, FBII, ITI, HAI, just to name a few) so I can probably answer most of your questions.

Good luck! And let us know how your search goes.

Old 02-21-03, 11:17 AM
tmorash
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the response.

Based on some of the past recommendations, I have been looking at the ITI systems. With the Concord, do you have to use any of the hardwired zones? Can you JUST use the wireless zones? Also, do the other major brands have a comparable product?

Old 02-21-03, 11:57 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Definitely not, you can use only wireless. The panel comes pre-programmed for all 6 hardwire zones (Entry, Motion, Perimeter, Perimeter, Perimeter, Perimeter), but you can easily Delete Zones, Edit Zones (if you wanted to change Zone 2 to a Perimeter, easy, you don't even have to Delete the Zone and reprogram). Adding zones is easy too, go to the Learn Sensors in programming, type in the Zone Type, then trip the sensor (hardwire or wireless, it's the same - wireless you trip the tamper though.) This is what ITI calls Learn Mode programming. Most system use something similar these days, but some still use the old serial # programming (you have to enter the serial # for each wireless sensor.)

Caddx makes a system similar to the Concord, the NetworX panels. Oddly enough, GE has also purchased Caddx recently and all of the ITI wireless sensors are cross-compatible with Caddx systems, and vice-versa. It does not come with wireless zone standard though.

DSC's comparable product would be the Power632 (formerly the 1555.) It does not come with wireless zones standard either.

Ademco has the Vista line. Very good products. Widely used by companies like ADT (there SafeWatch line consists of a lot of Vista panels.)

There are many, many systems to choose from. But, like I say, the Concord Express is the best system (and best deal) on the market today. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Old 02-21-03, 12:12 PM
tmorash
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the great info. My final question is about purchasing a system. I have found a few of the security websites online (homesecuritystore.com, alarmyourself.com). Do you recommend any of these, or do your recommend finding a local distributor?