Doorbell Repair

Old 03-26-03, 09:04 AM
shanktrot
Visiting Guest
Doorbell Repair

How do I reconnect the doorbell ringer. I know that when I touch the two wires, the bell sounds, however if I connect them separately under the two existing screws, this does not make the bell sound when I push the button. What should I be doing. Thanks a bunch, but I am really very green and I don't want to wait for someone to do something that seems so simple.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-03, 09:26 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you connect the wires to the doorbell, does it light up (if it is a light-up model)? If not, and even, if it does, you probably have a bad push-button. Usually the light will die though. Push-buttons are very simple in design. All it does is make a connection between the 2 wires when pushed. So if you hear the chime when you touch the wires together (btw, don't do this for more than 2-3 seconds at a time, or you're be buying a new chime too), then everything is working fine, except the push-button. If you have another one (maybe at another door) try it. The wires are not polarized either, so it doesn't matter which is connected to which terminal. Push-buttons are cheap, I'd say just buy another one.

Good luck!