Changing passcode on Brinks system

Old 04-10-03, 11:50 AM
crayzamazon
Visiting Guest
Question Changing passcode on Brinks system

Have had monitoring on my Brinks system for several years now. Am selling home and leaving system installed. Called Brinks to have monitoring discontinued and they've told me the system is scheduled to be "powered down" tomorrow - whatever that means.

Question (that Brinks won't return my call to answer)? How does new homeowner change passcode to their own? Nothing in the manual on changing passcode. With monitoring all I did was call customer service to change. Does anyone know how to change if not monitored?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-03, 12:00 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, unplug the RJ jack immediately (the phone plug looking thing near the panel.) This will keep Brinks out of your system completely.

As for the passcode - technically a passcode is the secret word you have with your monitoring company, the master code I think is what you want to change. If that's the case, I'll have to do some research to see how to change it.

But, if you don't unplug the RJ jack, it won't matter anyway. Brinks will shut-off that system and it will be no good. They really have no right to do that, but it's not worth fighting either (you can replace the system for about $150.)

Good luck!

Old 04-10-03, 12:09 PM
crayzamazon
Visiting Guest
So if I unplug the RJ plug...

......this keeps Brinks out of my system. What happens if unplugged when they go to power down the system? Any repercussions from Brinks? Will system still be active just not monitored?

Brinks mentioned nothing to me about the system being worthless once they power downed (but then why would they?). No wonder I haven't gotten a return phone call, huh. Are people actually allowed to buy systems from Brinks without monitoring?

It is the master code that would need changing and would love to find out how.

Thanks.

Old 04-10-03, 12:15 PM
S
I don't know exactly what they mean by "power down", but typically that means the system doesn't work, Period. Just like unplugging the power. I don't know if they have the power to do this over the phone line, but I wouldn't put it past them either.

Doesn't really matter, if you're not being monitored, you don't need a phone line to the system anyway, so you don't need the jack plugged in. I don't think I would take a chance (or give them the satisfaction.) I would unplug it ASAP.

I have a brand new Brinks system I've been wanting to play with, maybe I'll get a chance to do that in the next day or 2. This one was never powered up at all, so I know everything is default. Maybe I can get some answers for you.

Old 04-10-03, 05:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 73 Posts
I'm sure that they can. I know that the downloading software of most of the major manufacturers of panel hardware has means of effectively "locking" the keypads out of the system with the only access being via download, or a dedicated programmer.

This "feature" is intended for situations like apartment complexes and leased systems. Brinks, however, goes to greater efforts than most to keep their installed hardware from being used without paying their monitoring fees.

I'm with you, unplug the jack, even though the new owners will likely have to replace the hardware if they don't want to deal with Brinks.

Old 05-04-03, 09:15 PM
brinksbuster
Visiting Guest
Angry changing the master code

I pulled the panel off my brinks and found some numbers listed one is MC the other is DC then an 800 number with a 4 digit under it. i wish the tech had used a better pen and i would probably allready have the master code. Can one change or reset the MC? if you try to many times to pick it will the panel lock you out? Not too much luck getting the system online although the bypass seems to work and i can get the siren to fire on and off at will the post for the b-1000 that shows how to use the key pad was a huge help. but i need to reset the MC some how. i unplugged the damm thing after got into the panel they have a switch that shows the panel open or not and I figured the would shut it down.

Old 05-07-03, 05:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's typical, MC is master code, DC is Dealer code; the 800 number is either the number the panel dials to be monitored, or it's the service number, the 4 digit number is the account code. If you fire the panel up and the MC number works to arm and disarm, then you should be set. Depending on the generation of the hardware, that should give you everything you need to change the user codes.

Old 05-08-03, 08:14 AM
brinksbuster
Visiting Guest
sorry to say

the MC does not work tried and tried but I cant get it to arm. It will turn the chime on and off and bypass but i can not get it to turn on off. I need to know if one can reset the MC or ??? Hate to replace the panel if i can pick it or reset it. so far no luck and I have tried and tried. I should enter 1 2 3 then the MC to arm it? the previous owner told me her code and said all she ever did was just enter it to arm the system.. Mabey brinks turned it off before i got into the panel thats why the code does not work to arm it? Like I said if one can reset the MC or power it down and back up and enter a new code or? hmmm has to be a way to pick the code thru trial and error? time is on my side I have tried at lreast 200 combinations to date.

Old 05-08-03, 04:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the previous owner formally notified Brinks that she was cancelling, they very likely locked the panel out.

It sucks, but swapping out the hardware for something non-propriatory (and more user-friendly, and likely more capable), might be your best bet.

If you have the previous user's code, and the notes from inside the panel and still have no luck, I think it's time to bite the bullet.

Old 05-09-03, 01:13 PM
brinksbuster
Visiting Guest
Question what kind of bullet

Brinks BHS-1000B from reading the other post's I belive it might be this type of brinks. What would I need to get and replace to make it operate. a new key pad and a board? can you tell me what will work in place of what i have and a local supplier in houston or can you order on the net? damm hate that i cant get it on line but I guess using all the installed sensors will be better than nothing

Old 05-09-03, 05:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For most folks, the ITI Concord seem to be a pretty good deal. Unless you want really odd bells and whistles, it should fill your bill.

Old 05-09-03, 08:10 PM
S
Yes, I would definitely say go ITI Concord. The best thing about the Concord Express is that it comes with 16 wireless zones built-in, so you don't have to worry about wiring extras and such. Kits are also priced about the same as other systems, so you save about $60-100 right up front.

Let me know if you would like more info on the Concord Express or even the Simon systems. I've used both systems for a long time, so I should be able to answer any of your questions.

MrRon also knows his products pretty well

Good luck!

Old 06-01-03, 12:31 AM
lutzdoit
Visiting Guest
You're welcome - to all those sending me thanks for the keypad command syntax. I'm glad it was useful!

I have learned something that distrubed me concerning the telephone connection to my system- which I presume was installed by brinks. It is a B-1000 style.

I had a short somewhere in one of my internal telephone lines and began to debug it by disconnecting telepones and jacks from the the main. After having little luck - I disconnected the telco connection outside to learn whether it was my problem or the telco's.

I learned that it was inside my house. Further debugging brought a two phones on line. I started to suspect my BRINKS system. But, no the short had nothing to do with the brinks system either. However, when I disconnected the brinks system telephone line - the whole house went dead. I was certain this had something to do with my short - but it didn't (I subconsciously want to blame Brinks).

What is true -and this is the disturbing part to me - is that the brinks system was wired directly to the incoming line which then loops back to the telco box outside.

So basically the brinks system was between my phones and the telco. With this configuration the brinks box can still make a call even if something happens to the internal wiring - as long as nothing compermizes the loop to the brinks the system should be able to contact brinks.

So - I thought I'd post this since there are some disconnecting their box from the telco... -If your other phones go dead - you know why- to fix it - either Plug the system back in, get a coupler at radio shack and connect the two (input and output) lines from off the brinks. Or What I did was remove the connection out in the telco box and reconnect directly to the telco line.

Hope this helps...
______________________________-
mflutz

PS: I found the short and my kids can hang on the phone line for hours again - praise be!

Oh and - what disturbs me about brinks in control of my phone line? What if I was on the phone giving the police a play by play on the robber who is about to enter my house? As he starts to enter ... and I am about to give them a detailed description - the brinks system cuts my conversation short to dial the Mother-ship and send the trigger code and turn on my siren....

Old 06-01-03, 10:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A properly installed alarm is supposed to be set up for line seizure, this keeps some clever goon from preventing the system dialing out by the simple expedient of taking any house phone off the hook. There _should_ have been a jack inside the system can allowing one to unplug the panel without cutting off the house phones (RJ-31x). A few older and lazily installed systems are directly wired to the system terminals, but it's improper practice....

Old 06-02-03, 01:59 PM
S
MrRon is right. A <i>properly</i> installed system <i>will</i> have that RJ31X mounted somewhere near the system control (as a matter of fact, the FCC requires it.) If you ever have phone problems, that's a good place to start, just disconnect the cable from the jack. If you get your phones back, the security system has seized the line and the dialer is probably stuck on open. If you don't get your phones back, look elsewhere for the problem.

Here's the thing: if you disconnect the plug from the RJ jack, then you should keep your phones in your house (if not, it wasn't installed properly.) But, if you disconnect the jack from the system, or disconnect the phones inside the panel, then you will <i>lose</i> all phones in the house. You <i>must</i> disconnect the plug from the jack to get your phones back. The reason is simple - when you remove that plug little connectors inside the jack connect your incoming line back to the house phones. With the plug still in, the lines are still traveling through the data cable - if it's disconnected at the other end, you have no phone lines. If you look inside the jack's plug connection, you can see the little copper "legs" that complete the circuit when the plug is out.

BTW, on the BHS-3000, the data cable is soldered to the control board so that it can't be removed.

That being said, the RJ jack is not <i>required</i> for proper operation of the control panel. However, new installations by licensed/insured alarm companies are required to have them by code.