Security monitoring thru telephone cable

Old 04-11-03, 08:32 AM
chakde
Visiting Guest
Security monitoring thru telephone cable

I have security system installed in my house and is being monitered by a local company.

My concern is the telephone cable outside the house running into
telephone junction box. If someone cuts the cable and goes into
house, the signal won't reach the security monitoring company.
Am I correct? What could be the possible solutions to make this fool proof.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-03, 05:16 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That's one of the unfortunate things about alarm monitoring. If the phone is cut, no signal gets through, and hence no one gets called. There are options, like Cellular service, Long-Range radio, etc. But most of them are fairly expensive and, not to mention, unnecessary for the average home owner. You're looking at about $300 to $500 just to get the equipment installed and setup. Then you have to have the service for it too, so that's more on your monthly bill. If you're really interested, talk to your alarm company about what options they have available.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-03, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have been installing systems for 12 years and in those years ive decided that monitoring is a scam. I always suggest my customers make theyre system as loud and obnoxious as possible, with the addition of sirens placed in the attic, if possible, facing out of vents or turbines etc. However if you feel you need monitoring i suggest moving your outside phone box inside the house or if thats not possible, secure your line coming out of the ground in pvc conduit and an all weather box, that way it will take a burglar longer to disable the line.