Removing Keypad?

Old 04-23-03, 02:55 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Keypad?

Am looking for insight into physically removing my alarm keypad. Alarm is no longer functional and keypad is an eyesore. It's a Napco keypad, and in tinkering w/it, I can't quite figure out how to remove it. It doesn't seem to slide or pull directly out of the wall. I'm sure I'll feel like a dolt when someone tells me how to loose the puppy !

Anyone?

Thanks,
pieper

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-03, 05:41 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Which Napco keypad is it? Gemini? Magnum? I've worked on several, so I should be able to help

Old 04-24-03, 03:29 AM
P
Thanks, Brandon! It doesn't indicate which model it is (that I can see???), but Magnum rings a definate bell. It's over 15 years old, if that helps any...

Best,
pieper

Old 04-24-03, 06:38 AM
S
No, that doesn't particularly help. I have to be able to look-up the manual on the system or keypad, I do have most of them. But, I have to have a number to be able to do this. If you look at the Control Panel, it should tell you what type of system it is (you may have to open the cover and look on the inside of it to tell.)

Let me know what you find out. If I remember correctly, the last Magnum I worked on had little inserts in the bottom of the keypad that you could stick a flat-head screwdriver in and sort of twist it to pop-off the keypad from the mount. But, I'm guessing.

Old 04-24-03, 06:14 PM
P
Brandon,

OK... you made me do it. You made me ransack through my basement in search of what I remembered seeing related to the alarm! I located the dealer manual, and it is a Magnum 1010KDL unit. Looking at the diagrams pertaining to the keypad, it doesn't appear to be the keypad I have mounted on my wall. Either that or it's a Sears-esque (!) diagram -- bearing little resemblance to the actual item. But the template doesn't line up with the keypad at all. Soooo... I yanked off the cover of the keypad (doesn't appear to have broken... has tab thingies top and bottom), and the whole caboodle appears to be mounted into a double-gang KO box with a few screws. I can certainly remove those and dispense with the keypad, but what do I do with the wires? Cut 'em, stuff 'em in the box, and patch over?!? The keyboard is a Napco R1054D (according to the label on the circuit board side of the keys)...

This alarm has been non-functional for MANY years. I've clipped most of the wires which ran throughout the basement (had to... my ex somehow grounded the entire alarm incorrectly so whenever the doorbell rang, the alarm rang, too!). I've yanked the transformer at the panel. I even took down the cameras and motion detectors/microwave detectors that were installed. The moose driver remains, but without a power source, I don't care much. And the panel isn't bothering anyone tucked neatly next to the circuit panel for the electric in the basement. So I don't think there's any real danger of clipping these wires, too. I don't think anything is powered??? I'd dearly love to get rid of it and repair the wall. I just don't quite know what needs to be done to get a good result while not having to unwire the junction box or leaving potential problems plastered in the wall.

Thanks so much for taking time to work with me on this! I R a blonde, so speak slowly, please...!

Best,
pieper

Last edited by pieper; 04-24-03 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-04-03, 08:09 AM
S
Hello Pieper,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply (took a little vacation.) Anyway, if you have removed the transformer (check) and removed the back-up battery (?), then you have no power going to any of the wires. If the panel has been down for many years, then I'm certain you have no battery left anyway, so just stuff your wires back in the wall and cover them up any way you see fit.

One thing you may want to keep in mind: if you resell the house, a pre-wired or alarmed house will sell faster and for more. Just something to keep in mind.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.