Smoke sentinal fire alarm?

Old 04-23-03, 08:19 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Smoke sentinal fire alarm?

Hi,
I recently bought a three family homein Mass.The first floor unit has a "smoke sentinal wall mounted detector.
It is very yellowed in color.Can this be painted over to freshen up the look?
Any ideas?it appears to be an electric unit?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-03, 06:35 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smoke detectors should <i><b>never</b></i> be painted for any reason. At least, not if you want them to continue to work. The way a smoke detector works is very simple: smoke enters the chamber and the detector senses the smoke either by ionic charge or by photoelectric "eyes" (put in very simple terms.) If smoke can't enter the chamber, the detector simply does you no good.

Now, on the other hand, I'm not familiar with that particular product. So you may have something that is not a traditional smoke detector. If you could take a few digital picturs of it, that might help. Let me know if you have problems posting them here, as IMG code has been turned off.

Old 04-24-03, 04:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
If the detector is more than about 7-8 years old, and is AC only powered, the best bet is to go ahead and replace it with a new AC with battery back up unit.

The old unit is probably way off sensitivity, either too sensitive, or not sensitive enough (the sensor element degrades with age). It will either not protect you, or drive you nuts with false alarms.

For residential use, I've had good experience with the Firex brand, they are very reliable, and don't false alarm easily from things like high humidity.