Cleaning motion sensor

Old 07-14-03, 01:47 PM
Peter Poon
Visiting Guest
Question Cleaning motion sensor

The motion sensor of my alarm system seems to lost its sensitivity over the years. Is it possible to clean it, or I just have to buy another one? Are all motion sensors made the same? I means in terms of installation, are there any difference between makes?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-03, 02:15 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is very possible that your motion detector needs to be cleaned out. Depending on the model of your motion (if you can find it, let me know and I'll help as much as I can) it may have a small screw in it or it may have a slot for a flat head screwdriver to pop off the cover. Just be careful when you remove the cover not to force it too much and you should find a way to get it off.

Once inside, blow it out really good (use some compressed air in a can if you have it) and see if there is any build-up on the front lens. Be careful around the printed board inside, you don't want to damage the IR pick-up or any other components you may have (Microwave detectors, etc.) If it's extremely dirty inside or that doesn't seem to help, you can get new PIR's for around $30.

And, that being said, yes, <i>pretty much</i> all motions are more or less the same when it comes to hook-up - it really depends on your system more than anything. You want to make sure you use a motion that your system will support (IE: voltage - most motions are 9-12VDC, amperage, etc. are all considerations), but for the most part, most hardwire motions work on any system.

As for actual connections on a motion, they are all pretty much the same - you have a 4-conductor wire from the panel to the motion - the red/black supply the power (usually 12VDC) - the green/yellow (sometimes white) are used for the relay (which most motion detectors have - sometimes 2 of these for a tamper switch, but it's unlikely it's being used.) Connections are pretty straight forward - Red to +, Black to -, Yellow and Green are for the NC and Common loop on the relay. Some systems vary, some motions vary, but that's pretty much standard. Just take a look at the connections on your existing motion and you'll see.

Then there are the wireless motions that, of course, have no wires at all, but it's unlikely that you have one of these.

BTW, you may want to power down your system when you begin working on your motion, just to be on the safe side - I'd hate to see you have to replace the system board just because you accidentally shorted the Auxiliary power

Good luck with your project and let me know if I can be of any help!

Old 07-21-03, 05:55 AM
Peter Poon
Visiting Guest
Thanks Brandon, sorry about the late reply, I will go home and check the make and model number. I think I still have the manual with me. Will let you know.