New to this

Old 07-21-03, 08:57 AM
ranti
Visiting Guest
New to this

I just got a house that did not have security previously installed. I am new to all these. I want to have security installed. Where do I get started with getting a professional to do it and also getting a fair deal

Tks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-03, 10:33 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check the yellow pages - make plenty of phone calls - get a lot of estimates - consider doing it yourself, if you have the time and patience (it's really not difficult.)

Probably the best advice I can give is to stay away from the "free" systems and the big name companies (service is terrible and usually backed-up for months.) Try some of the smaller local dealers, they have more to lose if they don't treat you right - so they will do a better job for you.

Monitoring - the biggest thing about monitoring is to check for UL listing. UL regulates central stations as well as many other things. If a company is UL listed, they have to meet certain standards to stay listed. To find out more, take a look at <a href="http://www.ul.com">UL.com</a>.

For anything else, feel free to throw out some questions, I'll be more than happy to help.

Another possibility is to find your equipment online (you can get some very good deals on the equipment) and find a local company to install it for you - just be prepared to pay for the labor, since they are not selling you the equipment (and be prepared for a monitoring contract if you use them.)

Try to stay under $20/month for your monitoring (less if you can) and try to avoid contracts if at all possible.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.