Brinks BHS-2000F Home Alarm

Old 07-23-03, 09:41 PM
PinkKitty
Visiting Guest
Question Brinks BHS-2000F Home Alarm

I have a question for anybody out there. Two years ago I was shopping for a home alarm system, after talking to Brinks, I agreed to purchase my own system from them and have it installed, it cost $1,000 and agreed to the two year monitoring.
After fullfilling my contract I called to have it cancelled and then they called back to tell me it wasnt my system!!! I explained that it was, but they said it wasnt. Now they want $500.00 to come out and disable it and a service call charge. They say it will not call out anymore. My service is up August 15, I dont know what to do! After reading the letters from your forum, it seems that you guys know alot about these kinda things. Im in need of some good advice, or information that can help me.
Thank You PinkKitty

Last edited by PinkKitty; 07-24-03 at 04:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-03, 08:14 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, first of all, they are right - it's not your system. If you look at your paperwork (which you probably don't have anymore - not unusual ), you will notice that it is a lease of the equipment until your monitoring contract expires. If you renew your contract, you renew your lease. Very tricky and, to be honest, I'm not sure how the heck they get away with it, but it's they've been doing it for years, and I'm sure they have no intention of quitting anytime soon.

So, what do you do? Well, as they mentioned, they have probably already disabled the system in some way (whether by turning it completely off - yes, they can do that over the phone - or by just disabling the dialer on it, etc.) But, who cares? You're not paying for monitoring anyway.

Now, the thing is, they can't charge you to come out to the house and disable the system permanently. What if you don't pay? Are they still going to come out and take out or disable the system? Probably not. It's just a way to make some more money off of you.

So, if you want to completely shut down the system, easy enough - just unplug the transformer (the big plug) and unplug the battery from the system - if it's locked up, just let it sit for a few days and it will finally die (or beat the crap out of it, as one of the forum members did recently )

There are some other options - like possibly reprogramming the system - the biggest problem with that is that I have to have the system board in-hand to do that, which means unplugging all the wires and removing the board - and that's not guaranteed to work. The other option is to replace the control panel and keypad(s) with new equipment and be done with it. If you truely buy your own equipment this time (there are many places online you can do this), then you can monitor with any company you choose to use. Of course, then again, we're back to disconnecting every wire in the panel, but that's really your only options.

Let me know what you think, or if you need more info on any of the above suggestions - I'll do what I can.

Good luck!