Relocating telephone utility box

Old 08-15-03, 02:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relocating telephone utility box

I am self-installing a monitored and/or paging alarm system at home. I want to secure the phone lines at the utility closet.

We have underground utilities at our home, in fact the entry pipe is inside our wall! We have a utility closet (with a latched door) and inside it we have our electrical main plus our cable and telephone boxes. The lines come into the closet from the wall behind. On the other side of the wall is our garage. We already have access to the wiring from inside the garage (a hole was cut in the sheetrock by the home's original owner).

Anyway, I think it would be a simple matter to relocate the telephone utility box and the DSL box to the inside of the garage and easily protect all the applicable cables. My only question- is this legal? Would my phone company have a cow? (Pacific Bell, now SBC).

Thanks,

Madkiwi

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-03, 03:14 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I copied this thread over to Voice and Data since there are more phone guys over there - and I'm not real sure of the code on this.

Take a look over there for replies.

Old 08-17-03, 09:51 PM
Tech391
Visiting Guest
Phone line situation

This is a great thing to do to protect the wiring from malfeasance and destructive thiefs. The phone company will do this for you for a charge. Manipulation of the interface from any one other than a certified phone service installer/serviceperson or Alarm Tech. is a big no-no! At least here in Wisconsin it is. You must have the phone company do it for you. They will run the wires underground and fortify it in exterior conduit...it is a very wise "security" move to have this set up inside. "Many a phone line has been cut by thieves".

The reason for the phone company having to do it is because the interface does not belong to you....even though it may be on/in your house...,,.it is in fact the phone company's box.