"Doing" line seizure

Old 08-24-03, 10:09 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question "Doing" line seizure

Our home (newer) was wired with cat 3 wire, 3 pair (you would think they would use 4 or 6 pair, but they were cheap).

We have DSL, with a splitter at the demark (got it back in the days when DSL required a 4 hour visit by a technician), so of course there are no issues with filters at each phone jack.

The wiring is currently used as follows: orange pair- phone line, green pair- DSL, blue pair- unused.

If I understand the mechanics of installing a RJ31X, all I have to do is install the RJ31X at a phone jack next to my panel, wire the blue pair to the incoming tip and ring, the orange pair to the outgoing T and R. Then go to the splitter at the utility panel and swap the orange pair (current POTS line) for the (previously unused) blue pair.

In this way the telephone is now routed from the splitter to the RJ31X, and from that jack to all the phones in the house.

Is it that simple? I was searching around the internet and I read stuff about how you should run a new 2 pair cable to the RJ31X and not run it in parallel to the existing cable. This makes no sense, cat 3 twisted pair doesn't have signal crossover issues. Am I missing something, or is this just to cover an installer's butt if the house has older unsuitable wiring (or, heaven forbid- only 1 or 2 pairs of wires)?

Thanks,
madkiwi

Old 08-24-03, 08:37 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you do have the right idea. You said, "Then go to the splitter at the utility panel and swap the orange pair (current POTS line) for the (previously unused) blue pair." - I think you are right here, but just to clear it up: make sure you connect the Blue pair to the feed from the phone box, then the orange pair to the orange pair of the house lines. Basically, all you are doing is making a "switch" out of the security system.

When they say to not run the phone line in parallel with any other cable, they are referring to powered lines (like the line voltage lines in the house.) Doing so can cause interference on your house phones. You can run phone lines in parallel.

For more on phone lines, take a look at http://phonewiring.safewatchservice.com

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: