RJ31X Jack

Old 09-02-03, 07:05 AM
busterm
Visiting Guest
RJ31X Jack

With jack unplugged I am getting 5 ohms resistance across T/T1 terminals. No resistance across R/R1. Must be a little corrosion on the shorting bar.

Is this T/T1 resistance enough to cause a problem?

With security system plugged in, resistance across T/T1 and R/R1 is 0.1 ohms.

Old 09-03-03, 06:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
A jolt of contact cleaner might help, but since there is no problem with the system plugged in, you should be fine.

If you start having problems with noise on the phone lines, replacing the jack is an inexpensive option.

Old 11-17-05, 04:45 AM
OnTheSide
Visiting Guest
Intermittent Problem

I have a similar problem with a new install of a DSC 832. The resistance between T1 and T on the RJ31X is about .5 ohms with alarm system not plugged into jack. It is greater than 20 Meg when I plug the system in. I have a trouble alarm on my alarm system that indicates ‘Gen Sys Tmpr’ on my 5500z keypad. I have troubleshot this problem down to fire alarm wiring, but that is for another thread. Is the alarm system trying to seize the line or is the RJ31X broken?

Old 11-17-05, 04:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
DSC panels have a tendency to sieze the phone and not let go when they have a trouble or tamper alarm. RJ-31x jacks are pretty simple gadgets. If you have clean phone lines with the alarm system unplugged from it, then you simply need to resolve the DSC panel's issues first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: