Alarm Monitoring Question

Old 09-03-03, 10:37 AM
abbyspop
Visiting Guest
Moved from Locks-Alarm Monitoring Question

I was considering using smarthome's (smarthome.com) advertised alarm service "Alarm Monitoring for Only $8.95 a Month"

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Here's the website: http://www.smarthome.com/alarm.html (contact info deleted-no advertising-schiejr)

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by schiejr; 09-03-03 at 07:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-03, 09:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Web Hosts Priority Message

Hello: abbyspop

Apology owed to you from diy. During the process of moving your question into this forum topic, some errors occured. Kindly accept our apologies.

The title of the originally worded question was edited also. Worded as it was, triggered our own alarms, if you will. The title appeared to be an advertisement, which is not allowed in forum topics.

Thus the jump to take actions against ads in topics by some moderators all at once created the errors.

Please be advised that your question does not request professionally related information. All replies may be opinions.
Not necessarily include facts.

Regards,
Sharp Advice
Forums Admin & Multiple Topic Moderator.

Note to moderators. All errors have been corrected. No additional actions required.

Thanks,
Sharp Advice

Old 09-04-03, 06:56 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, I can't really comment on SmartHome.com - other than what I can read on their site. From what I see, I do have a couple of problems with it:

1) They require a "contract" - the reason I put that in quotes is because it's not necessarily a contract, but pre-paid monitoring for a year. That's a problem. What if you are not happy with their service after the first month or 2? What if you find a better deal? What if you decide you just don't want to monitor your system anymore?
2) Setup fee - that's just not right. Period. You're paying monthly monitoring - and you're paying it all up front (1st year) - you shouldn't have to pay a setup fee on top of that.
3) Along the same lines - if you are setting up your own system (you do have to reprogram it yourself), then why the $35 setup fee?

Small things, but things to consider.

Just make sure you go with a monitoring company that is UL listed and does not require a contract.

Hope that helps.