DSC832 - Replacing a control panel

Old 09-08-03, 07:34 PM
jhyler
Visiting Guest
Question DSC832 - Replacing a control panel

One of the LCD control panels of my Power832 system is deteriorating - the plastic is cracked and broken such that it is about ready to fall off the wall. The circuit board itself seems fine.

I've got a brand new LCD5000Z which I'd like to replace it with. Looks simple enough - take the wires off the old one and put it on the new one. But is it that simple? Will the system go into alarm when I pull the old panel out? Is there new programming that needs to be done before the system will accept the replacement panel?

I have the option of putting the old circuit board into the new housing, which might avoid programming problems. But I'd still have to disconnect/reconnect the wiring in so doing.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-03, 07:51 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As long as you power the system down first, you won't have any problems. If you don't power down first, then yes, you will have many, many problems (not the least of which will be a supervisory problem that won't clear.) Unplug the transformer and the battery and then make the switch (there are little letters to tell you which wires go where, but it's pretty straight-forward.)

If you have any problems, let me know.

Old 09-13-03, 12:38 PM
jhyler
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Got it - almost

Following your advice, I powered down and swapped out the panel. After restoring power and re-entering the time, I had a general system supervisory fault that didn't want to clear. I read somewhere about how DSC "enrolls" keypads, so I went back and put the old keypad's circuit board into the new housing. The fault cleared right up and I'm back in business.

If I ever need to do this again, how can I "enroll" the new keypad? I assume I need to find some magic number associated with the old one, and plug it into the new one, or something along those lines, but haven't a clue as to how.

(I do know the installer's code, btw).

Thanks for the help!

--Jim

Old 09-13-03, 04:15 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you can now get into programming, you can reset the system supervisory by entering the 902 Field (the manual explains this.)

Good luck!