Old 10-20-03, 08:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I am adding a line to my detatched garage so I can add 2 window contacts and one door contact.

I am running the wires underground in conduit, I want to do this work and just have brinks come out and connect everything.

My question is:

What type of wire do I use?

Thanks in advance,

Old 10-20-03, 08:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 2,627
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It really depends on the distance, but to be safe I would use 18 gauge/2 conductor (or even 4 conductor.) Sort of like speaker wire.

You only need 2 conductors to connect doors and windows, but (for future expansion) it might not be a bad idea to pull some extra wires - possibly for a motion detector, keypad, or smoke detector.

BTW, you might want to check with Brinks to see how much they are going to charge you for making that connection and programming it, before you do it. They've been known to gouge many of their customers.

Good luck!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: