Electric smoke detector

Old 10-20-03, 08:38 AM
BluenoteForever
Visiting Guest
Electric smoke detector

I have a question about electric smoke detectors. We have an electric smoke detector in the upstairs (along with a battery operated one) which was installed by the builder. Last night, this detector went off at 10:30 for about 15 seconds and continued to go off intermintently for about 15 minutes. There was no smoke (it isn't a CO detector) and the other detectors did not go off. I flipped the breaker which put an end to the alarm. Then I went to scrape my 12-year old son off the ceiling above his bed.

Any suggestions on why it would go off? It is about 15 years old. Could its age be a factor and that the buzzer was an indication that it needs to be replaced?

/g

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-03, 08:47 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's 15 years old, it's time to replace it anyway. The house smoke detectors used are very cheap - they are what we call Ionization smokes. Photoelectric smokes are 100X better than Ionization smokes. Ion smokes tend to false alarm a lot and they have also been known to not detect all types of smoke. Whereas Photo smokes use photoelectric beams to detect the presence of smoke.

There's a website somewhere that explains the differences in more detail, but I can't remember where it's at. If I find it, I'll be sure to post it.

If you don't want to replace it, try cleaning it with some compressed air (like the kind in a bottle for computers.)

Good luck!

Old 10-20-03, 10:06 AM
BluenoteForever
Visiting Guest
Thank you.

/g