Looking for alarm suggestions

Old 10-23-03, 08:48 PM
Tpring
Visiting Guest
Question Looking for alarm suggestions

I am going to set up a simple home intrusion system [mainly PIR's and a few relays] and would like some suggestions on what to do as the alarm [i.e. sounders, tape recording, strobes, etc].

P.S. I am not interested in a panel, dialer, et al.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-03, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most alarm systems these days are MicroProcessor-based - so any real alarm system you get will have a panel and keypad and you just add the sensors to it as you see fit. There are some "systems" that use only wired or wireless motions and a sounder of some sort - but, most of them are very cheap and extremely unreliable.

If you just want a basic setup (arm/disarm, siren goes off if someone breaks-in), then I would recommend the Visonic PowerMax system. I usually do not recommend these systems, simply because I have not used them or installed them myself, but I have heard very good things about them, and I know they are considerably less than some of the other professional systems out there, that are used for monitored premises type situations.

The PM system comes with many nice features that many homeowners like, such as voice response to chimes and status indications, and multiple number dial-out options for pre-recorded messages.

All of the sensors are wireless - so they are extremely easy to install. And, from what I hear, the system is very easy to setup and program.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-27-03, 02:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a PowerMax, and it is quite neat.

Easy to program, very adaptable, and quite economical. Ours will phone my cell phone, and if I don't respond it phones my wife. As we discovered when we accidentally set off the alarm that phone call goes out in about 5 seconds.

But primary purpose is to frighten off intruders, and with one siren in the attic and one ceiling mounted in the house it makes a ruckus! You can also wire in lighting or other appliances using an X-10 module.

PIR sensors are sensitive enough without ANY falses, ours are set on maximum sensitivity and our cat has yet to trigger an alarm, even though one sensor points towards a bed he likes to jump up on. We added a smoke detector as well, and wireless keypads so the panel is not in an exposed location.

It is a "real" alarm system, so if you just want to have the noise/lights for now, and decide later to go with monitoring or just dial out notification it is just a matter of turning those features on.

No problems or complaints about ours.