Ademco FA120

Old 12-30-03, 05:05 PM
Ademco FA120

Hi, I just bought my 1st home.
The last owner never used the alarm system, it was installed before they bought the home. It was in stalled in 1997 by Guardian Protection services. It says on the Certificate of Installation it has a Control Panel Ademco FA120. But I can not find any info on an Ademco FA120 system.

The system is on in the chime mode.

It has wired and wireless sensors
4 permeter door contacts
1 interior trapping device
3 Smoke/heat detectors

can anyone please tell me what to look for as to what is the actual model of the system?

I would like to change the pass code number and add a Auto Voice Alarm System Paiger - Dialer
AD-US-AVD45B. The owner had a Central Station service.
Is this something I can do I have installed MDI security systems but that's a completely different system. Any ballpark figures on having some one come in and test the system and set it up for local use not Centeral station.

Thanks for reading...

Pete

Last edited by Pete OldNavy; 12-30-03 at 06:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-03, 09:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
According to my cross-reference, the FA120C (First Alert) is actually an Ademco 4110XM - you can get a manual at <a href="http://manuals.safewatchservice.com">Manuals.SafeWatchService.Com</a>.

As for adding a voice dialer, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I don't have any personal experience with the AD-US-AVD45B, but I have installed a few USP AD-2000's and sold quite a few of them - they work very well and I have had no returns or complaints from them. Searching Google, I just discovered that the AD45 from HTS (I imagine that's where you found it) is, in fact, a USP product - so you should have no problems with it.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-03, 02:32 PM
Thank You verrrrrrrrry much for the info....

and

Happy New Year

to all

Old 12-31-03, 03:55 PM
Oh another question:

Would a Ademco 6139 Alpha English LCD Display Keypad work with this system? I know the manual does not list it but would it be compatable because it's newer? I would like to change out the main Keypad with one that will have full english text.

*** Keeping fingers Crossed the Master Security Code is the Default ***

Last edited by Pete OldNavy; 12-31-03 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-01-04, 07:57 AM
Instead of going through a whole page of posts of what's compatible and what's not, here's Ademco's list of compatible keypads:

6150V
6150RF
6137R
6128RF
6128IR
4137AD

Obviously, the 6139 is not on that list. As a matter of fact, I don't see any Alpha keypads on that list (but, some of them I don't recognize either.) Maybe the 6137 or 4137? Not sure.

Good luck!

Old 01-01-04, 04:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's the 5330, and it has to be set to the correct mode to work with this system. That's assuming that the first alert modifications don't create any problems.

Old 01-01-04, 05:20 PM
Cool thanks for that info...

Of them the 6150V is the one I think I will use for replacements.

I crawled into the space where the Alarm Panel is located.
I do have a FA120C and inside was the Programming Form

I think I will put one of the keypads in by the Alarm Panel for programing.

I hope the Master Security Code is Blank as in 4110, since it's not filled in. It seems that the installer only filled in the fields that were changed.

Is there a way to change the Master Security Code with out doing
a:
Power Up > * and # at the same time >*97
if I dont know the current master security code?

I do know I have a Faulty Smoke Detector It has a Steady light on it. It is not a Low Profile unit. I have searched the internet for Ademco Smoke Detectors and can seem to find one like it. Tomorrow I will pop it off and look for a Model number. It looks as if if I keep the wires together on teh back of the Smoke Detector but take the wires off the terminals it will just by-pass the smoke detector. Am I understanding the wireing correctly?

Thanks again for reading...

Old 01-02-04, 04:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Nooooo!

Do not use *97!

When you go into program mode with the power-up + * #, you simply change the go to program code at the *20 program block.

If you *97 you wipe everything back to default, and have to reset all of your zone definitions, which can be bloody tedious, because you would have to key in all of it over again (although most first alert installers tended to use a pretty standard template).

If the light is on steady, it means that the detector is in alarm. The fact that it is so, and you are not getting a fire alarm means that someone may have disconnected the fire zone, or disabled it in the programming.

Either way, any good quality 4 wire 12v smoke detector will replace it. I like the System Sensor 4wB model. They are easy to install, and have proven to be rock solid reliable.

Old 01-02-04, 05:45 PM
Cool Thanks for clearing that up MrRonFL.

One last question for today....
When I do the following....
When you go into program mode with the power-up + * #, you simply change the go to program code at the *20 program block.
I guess I have to have the Back up battery disconnected correct?

In other words.
1. Disconnect the battery
2. Remove Power wait 30 seconds
3. Reapply power
4. With in 50 seconds *# at the same time.
5. It should be at *20 at this point (program mode)
6. Put in MY new Master code.
7. Exit program mode with a *99.

Thanks for recomending at smoke detector. I will go with that one as a replacement.

Old 01-02-04, 11:07 PM
Yep, you got it - you have to completely power down before you can *# the system.

Good luck!

Old 01-03-04, 06:35 AM
Well today I ordered my upgrades.

USP AD-2000 Voice Dialer
Part#: USPAD2000
Manufacturer Part#: AD2000
(Qty: 1)

Ademco 6150
Part#: 6150
Manufacturer Part#: 6150
(Qty: 2)

ELK-1270 12 volt 8 amp hour battery
Part#: ELK-1270
Manufacturer Part#: ELK1270
(Qty: 1)

System Sensor 4WB Smoke Detector
Part#: BK-4WB
Manufacturer Part#: 4WB
(Qty: 1 )

I decided to just update the look of my Keypads, replace the Smoke detector , add a Voice Dialer and replace the battery.

Well I'm off to reset my Master Code .

Cross Fingers
Thanks again

Old 01-03-04, 05:15 PM
Well I changed my code.

I ended up just putting a 1k resistor in place of the Fire alarm wires.

When I re-connected the Power and reset my Master Code, then reconnected the battery. The battery Message remained lit for a while. The I had a FC in the display. I can't find any reference to that code. But the code cleared after a while.

Old 01-05-04, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
FC is communication failure. It's in the manual, but it's kind of buried in the text. It tried to dial the number programmed into it, and either couldn't connect, or got no kiss-off.

You need to go into the programming sections where the telephone numbers are and delete the numbers, this will make the system local only, and it will stop trying to call a central station.

Check the section with the download phone number, as well, as a lot of FA dealers used the remote software.

The resister will dummy off that fire zone for the time being. I'm not too surprised that the old smoke failed, in unused systems they seem to bite it on power up.

Old 01-05-04, 05:19 PM
Oh cool....

I will do the following:

enter programing mode.

*41* to clear Primary phone number
*43* to clear Subscriber Account number
*44 0 default for report format
*45 0 default for phone system select
*94* to clear download phone number
*95 0 default for Ring det Count
*99 exit

Yeah I set the alarm off when I disconnected a wire from the faulty smoke detector while the system was on.

Old 09-22-11, 01:34 PM
I purchased my house with existing FA120c by First Alert and would like to resurrect it to be monitored. The previous owner left me their master code; the system hasnít been monitored in years but seems to work fine. I had a local installer try to go into program mode with the same steps in this thread; but I guess we are locked out. Is there a way to manually put this system back to default and start fresh? Like cross some wires or something. I know it is old, but the system works good. Would love to have it monitored.

Old 09-22-11, 05:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the procedures outlined in this thread didn't jump you into programming, then it's been locked out with the download software, and basically only that installer's copy of the First Alert version of the download software.

Start over with a new control and keypad(s).