Installing Hard-Wire CO Detector

Old 01-01-04, 01:46 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Installing Hard-Wire CO Detector

My house is two years old and has hard-wired interconnected smoke detectors (Firex FADC #5000). I want to add a CO detector in the hallway outside the bedrooms. I read that CO detectors should be at least 5 feet off the floor. Rather than have a cord going up the wall from an outlet, my thought is to replace the smoke detector on the ceiling with a combination smoke/CO detector like Kidde 900-0114 KN-COSM-IB. Does this make sense? I've replaced electrical fixtures in the past, so I think I could do this myself. But I am wondering if there is anything I need to consider before undertaking this.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-04, 02:12 PM
Are the smoke detectors wired into an alarm system? Do the all sound if one sounds? Then I wouldn't change it unless I got one that works with the others.

If it just runs on AC then you can swap it out. OR just mount a CO detector beside the smoke alarm, they normally work on their own power (battery) anyway.

Old 01-01-04, 03:24 PM
S
Thanks for your message! These smoke alarms ARE interconnected (when one goes off, they all do), but they are not connected to a security system. I did some checking on the FIREX web site, and I see that they do have a smoke/CO combo detector that will work with our currect smoke detectors and will allow me to replace the smoke unit in the hallway with the combo unit: FIREX 7000. Thanks for the help.