Problem Learning hardwire zones into Concord Hybrid

Old 01-04-04, 07:47 AM
KFS03
Visiting Guest
Problem Learning hardwire zones into Concord Hybrid

Hi all, new to the board but not the security business. I have been in install/service/sales for almost 8 years.

I am having a problem with the Concord Hybrid panel that I am putting in my residence. When learning the hardwired zones I am prompted to trip the sensors. When I trip the appropriate sensor the panel doesn't respond. Even if I land a resistor on the panel instead of the zone wiring there is no response from the panel when the restisor is lifted during programming. This is the case on all 8 hardwired zones and the snap card zones. The wireless zones learn in fine.

I have cleared the memory and started over to no avail. Just hoping someone can help me since I am usually the 'tech support' for my office and this is one I haven't seen before.

Last resort is to call tech support tomorrow.

Thanks in advance and I hope I can contribute to the board in the future.

Chad

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-04, 09:00 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much experience do you have with the ITI Concord equipment? Just from your post, I've deducted that you work for a company that is an ITI dealer - so more than likely you have more than average experience.

If that's the case, I would guess you're probably programming the system correctly (and from your post it sounds like you're programming right.)

So, the only other option is that the panel is bad. Have you tried jumper'ing from the Z1 (2, 3, whatever) to Terminal 3 (GND) just to make sure it's not the common? There's not an option to disable EOL's.

Just to review programming (you might want to default again, just in case):
1) Go to Learn Sensors, press #
2) Select Partition, press #
3) Enter Zone Type, press #
4) Then trip your zone - keypad should beep

Pretty simple, very straight-forward. If it's not working, I would say it's a bad panel - it happens. Call ITI tomorrow and see if they agree - they may actually know something I don't. But, I'm gonna bet they'll be sending you a new panel.

Good luck!

Old 01-04-04, 03:49 PM
KFS03
Visiting Guest
Brandon,

I figured you would be answering my post. I had already ran a search of this forum to see if my problem had come up before and I noticed that you answered alot of the posts (especially ITI questions) quite well.

I do work for an ITI dealer and have installed a bunch of Concord, Concord Express, Ultragaurd, Caretaker and even Commander 2000 (ugh) panels. I installed ITI panels 3-4 years ago and before that I used the ITI stuff to do Radionics hybrids. I now do sales and use ITI on residential and small commercial systems.

Back to the system. I messed with it some more today and was able to learn all of the zones in by reapetedly shorting the zone terminals with a pair of hemostats. I did this with the zone wiring landed. All zones learned in normally closed (except zn 8) and functioned correctly when I backed out of programming mode. I don't know what it is but I could not get them to learn by tripping the zone or by installing and removing the EOL at the panel during programming.

At least I will know what to tell my guys to do should this problem arise during an install.

Learning the zones in during programming is the only thing I don't like about ITI. From an installers standpoint, I would much rather have another menu item where I could tell the panel what wiring configuration and trouble states to use for the points. Even if it was just the ability to go in and change what a learned sensor defaulted to.

Thanks again for the help Brandon. The people on this board are lucky to have someone with the knowledge and the willingness you have to help with their security needs. Its nice to know there are peolpe out there interested in doing a good kob and not just getting yards signs and basic package systems slapped in.

Chad

Old 01-05-04, 07:42 AM
S
Hmm, very strange. I've only installed a few of the Concord Hybrid/RF systems (I have one in my own home actually) and I've never run across that. Very strange - just using a resistor should do it.

I do have to agree with you about the zone configurations - at least have a zone attributes programming like the DSC systems. But, I think these systems are designed strictly for ease of programming and not high-configurability. Just compare a DSC manual to an ITI manual and you can see just how much easier they are to program (of course, you probably already know.)

But, on the other hand, ITI gives you a lot more options for zone types too - almost twice as many as DSC.

Well, feel free to hang around the boards, help out from time to time. If you have any computer, plumbing, woodworking, gardening, automotive, etc. etc. etc. experience - browse around and see if you can help.

Old 02-17-04, 03:59 PM
KFS03
Visiting Guest
Just an update in case someone has this problem in the future and searches to find this post.

We had the same problem with another Concord today, not wanting to learn zones. A call to tech support yeilded a recommendation that the smoke loop be removed from the panel duing the zone learning process. We did and it worked.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the problem but both my system and this system have the line carrier transformer and two wire smoke detectors.

Hope this helps someone down the road.

Old 02-17-04, 11:41 PM
S
Hmm, very strange. Was the system programmed for 2-wire smokes already? The manual says not to program any zones until you change the 2-wire smoke to reflect that option in the inputs menu, but I wouldn't imagine that would affect other zones.

Just an odd quirck I'm sure.