Smoke Alarms - 2 diff types

Old 03-07-04, 09:51 PM
bjboxcars
Visiting Guest
Smoke Alarms - 2 diff types

I'm replacing my 3 interconnected smoke alarms. The big question I have relates to type - ionization vs photoelectric sensor.

Which is best for kitchen area, bedroom area, and basement area.

For example, I would have thought that the photoelectric would have been better in the kitchen, but I read on Kidde's site that the ionization is........which I don't understand.

Any input re: those three areas?

thanks.
BJ

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-04, 04:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Truth be told, kitchens are a lousy location for any smoke detector. High humidity, cooking vapor residue, and a number of other factors make false alarms a near certainty.

If the ceiling in the kitchen isn't extremely high, a _heat_ detector is a much better choice (most trigger at 135 degrees, so you can imagine the size fire it would take to trip one on a 12' + ceiling).

For general use, otherwise, I prefer photo smokes. They last longer, and are less prone to false alarms.

Once, Ion smokes had a early detection edge on photo smokes, but now the difference in reaction time is down to fractions of a second. They do still have a earlier reaction to things like electrical fires (which produce little smoke in their very earliest stages).

Old 04-02-04, 11:43 PM
kestri
Visiting Guest
Dear friend,

The better choice for my opinion is the place that you put the detector and after the type of the detector..

The optical detector is excactly what it says .. It has a photodiode in it and the smoke that enter in the detector make the photodiode to send the signal to the panel ... (sorry for my english) ...

The ionisation detectors are not used anymore cause they have a radioactive material in it to make the detector work ..

For the thermal detector are two choices .. ... 65 celsiou or 90 celsious activation .. and both of them can cause an alarm if there is a great change of hot in the place that they are installed.

After all I would prefer the optical detectors ...

Again sorry for my English ..
I hope to Helped you

Old 04-03-04, 04:12 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The ionisation detectors are not used anymore cause they have a radioactive material in it to make the detector work ..
I don't know about internationally, but in the US they are still widely available and widely used - Kidde, First Alert, and many other manufacturers still sell them. Most of the AC-powered (interconnected) smokes are ionization - especially if they are installed by the builder.

Old 04-04-04, 07:50 AM
kestri
Visiting Guest
Dear Brandon,

As you mentioned of cource and many companies still sell the ionizations detectors ..

That happens at Greece too .. but the installers here at Greece tend to stop installing them because of the radioactive materials ....

Sorry for not being specific .. and for saying that are not used anymore ...

Elias