Alarm System for Protective Security

Old 03-17-04, 05:06 PM
bryan1656
Visiting Guest
Alarm System for Protective Security

Greetings to all!

I am looking into alarm systems for protective security, as opposed to loss prevention. (Protection of people while inside the home, instead of merely protecting stuff while people are away. e.g stalking, etc.)

From previous posts, I have learned the the ITI is highly recommended for ease of use and installation. I also have seen where the Simon 3 has a combined panel/dialer which would be vulnerable to being disabled by having the panel destroyed by an intruder.

Could anyone please provide some additional suggestions on capabilities that a security system should have for the purposes of protective security? And possibly some specific recommendations?

Many thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-04, 07:22 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, you're objectives are not really all that different than a "normal" security system's - you want to keep people out. That's easy enough - cover the perimeter. This includes all doors and windows (and the glass - doors or windows.) But, more importantly is to provide for panic solutions, just in case someone does get in. To do that, you would probably want to include a few keychain remotes (with audible panic), and as many keypads as possible in key areas (Master Bedroom - Kitchen/Living area, etc.) Possibly even add a few remote panics by the beds, etc. Like everything, this depends on how much you are willing to spend.

The level of security you are wanting to provide would be directly proportional to the level of the threat you feel from intruders.

I typically do not recommend external (Outdoor) sensors - but in a situation like this, you may wan to consider it. <a href="http://www.optexamerica.com/">Optex</a> makes an outdoor dual PIR detector (the <a href="http://www.optexamerica.com/products/prodpage.cfm?product=bx80">BX-80N</a>) which basically has an upper and lower PIR - both of which must be tripped before alarming the system. Pictures say a thousand words - take a look at the site for more info. It's a very simple, but very effective concept. The obvious advantage is just as they say - it stops intruders <i>before</i> they enter the premise.

There are several options for keeping intruders out, if you need some help sorting through them, let us know.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-04, 08:01 AM
bryan1656
Visiting Guest
SafeWatch,

Thanks for the heads up on the PIR. Sounds like a *very* good idea.

Would you have any specific recommandations on security systems, such as the Simon 3, that might be better suited for protective security? Or, should that system, which is already highly recommended, fit the bill?

I'm looking for a system that will allow for/integrate with both indoor and outdoor video and audio. I've been researching that equipment, as well. Any help in that area would also be appreciated.

Old 03-19-04, 08:33 AM
bryan1656
Visiting Guest
Another quick question...

I notice that the wireless sensors use batteries as a power source. Are they standard sized batteries that you can pick up at the corner store? And about how frequently do they need to be replaced?

Again, many thanks for the help!

Old 03-19-04, 02:46 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you want to do any integrating with other systems, you need to look into the <a href="http://64.49.194.64/products/cncdexpress.jsp">ITI Concord Express</a> (at the very least) or the <a href="http://64.49.194.64/products/cncdintegrated.jsp">ITI Concord Hybrid/RF</a>. If you want to use wireless, take a look at the <a href="http://www.safewatchservice.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_30_55/products_id/64">ITI Concord RF 16 system</a>. The biggest problem with the Simon systems is that they do not have the inputs and outputs required to integrate with other systems - the Concord systems allow for many expansion possiblities.

Most of the wireless products use either Alkaline (SAW sensors) or Lithium (Crystal sensors) batteriess. The Alkaline typically last 2-4 years, and the Lithium about 4-6 years. Of course, Alkaline is readily available pretty much anywhere (standard AAA and AA batteries) - Lithium are not as readily available, but I think in 2 years or so, they will become pretty much standard.

Let us know if we can be of any more help.

Old 03-21-04, 08:09 AM
bryan1656
Visiting Guest
You've already been an *enormous* amount of help! I really appreciate it! Thanks!