Smoke Detector Location

Old 04-11-04, 11:02 AM
swegman
Visiting Guest
Smoke Detector Location

Where is the best location to mount a smoke detector in a bedroom and an exercise room? Is it best to mount it on the ceiling in the center of the room, or close to a corner?

Thanks
Steve

Old 04-11-04, 11:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up My Two Cents

Hello: swegman

EXCELLENT QUESTION! Thanks for bring up the topic.

Professionally speaking, just inside the doorway enterance in about 12-24 inches inwards on the ceiling. Never in a corner. In a centerline with the doors overhead frame jam in 12-24 inches.

The reason being, when the smoke enters the room, if coming from outside the room, as it spills into the room, it will enter throught the doorway.

Thus the alarm will catch it as soon as possible. An early warning. If the detector where in the middle of the room, the smoke would have to travel that far to reach the detector.

Valueable time is than lost before the warning alarm goes off. Those lost minutes may mean the difference between time to escape, being trapped in or life and death.

Practice fire drills. Have a planned escape route and a meeting place outside. Having multiple escape routes is best. If one fails, resort to the other, etc.

If there are kids in the house, they too must know the plans, practice the plans and be provided with the tools needed to break windows, have escape ladders, if needed and the house is multiple stories, etc.

Best to have a smoke detector in every room, if possible and one in a centeral hallway, if there is one. One in an attic if there is one and one in a basement. if there is one.

Test monthly and replace batteries yearly. Cheap insurnace.
My fireman son would not have it any other way....

BTW:
I have done many fire investigations working for a natural gas utility company. Never a pleasant job...

Old 04-11-04, 04:10 PM
swegman
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. Never thought of detecting smoke entering the room from outside.

I guess the flip side of this is that if a fire starts in the room at the far end from the detector, it will take a little longer for the smoke detector to detect as compared to a detector mounted on the ceiling in the middle of the room.

Which is the more common situation; the smoke detector detecting smoke from another room, or detecting smoke produced in the room?

In my situation, there already is a smoke detector in the hallway (about 20-25 feet from the exercise room), and I am interesting in early detection in the exercise room, should, for example, one of the pieces of equipment catch fire.

Thanks.
Steve

Old 04-11-04, 05:30 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hi: Steve

If the higher concerned area is the exercise room, install two detectors or more. There is no limit but there is a potential penalty for a lack there of. Only you can best determine that.

However, depending upon your city and or county, fire prevention classes are available. Sometimes held in schools or fire stations, etc. Son gives those classes.

Our county has a mobile fire prevention trailer. Taken to many public events like carnivals, fiars, church events, schools, etc. The trailer is fully equipped. People enter, lights go out and room fills with harmless dark thick smoke.

Simulations of live fires and done in the dark. People acutally have to find there way out. Great training for those not faint of heart...LOL! And yes. The smoke detectors are in alarm mode too.

Read the directions that come with the detectors. Contact your local fire department for more info. It's out there to learn and to know. Best bet to be prepared for in home fires.

Out my way, we have earthquake drills too. Done by local city and county departments, etc. Required practice drills in ALL schools, public and private and in all public work buildings.

Imagine an EQ and Fire? Both at the same time.
Happens. Being prepared is the best defense.

Old 04-11-04, 05:40 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Upvotes on 240 Posts
You are still best to place it in the location described by Sharp Advice. Even cheap hardware store detectors will have a 20 to 30 foot detection radius. A equipment or outlet fire will certainly trip the smoke well in the incipient stage no matter where it is located in the room. Unless the room is huge, though, more to the center will make no practical difference. The near door location is much better for a sleeping area.

Most of this type of exercise equipment draws next to no power (less than most stereo equipment in standby) while in standby. If your outlets are not not new/fairly tight, spend the half hour and a buck or so to put in new recepticals. Sloppy worn electric plugs cause more fires than anything else outside of a kitchen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: