Wireless Video Surveillance System

Old 05-08-04, 06:40 PM
Mr Monkey Pants
Visiting Guest
Question Wireless Video Surveillance System

I'm trying to set up a wireless surveillance system for a store that I own. I plan on having sixteen color cameras, a few will be outside and I've decided that I'm going to go with a wireless setup so that I don't have to run data cable everywhere.

What I don't know is how the whole thing works. I'd like to use a Windows based PC to monitor the cameras. Do I need a router or some kind of special hardware and software? What are some good choices?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-04, 07:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
There are wireless cameras and and equipment that will do what you want, but they will be very expensive, especially for 16. For that number, running cable may actually be less expensive. Most of the systems that will allow you to use a PC will be DVR systems, and adding wireless color cameras to that combo is going to be steep. If you already have twisted pair data cable in place, there are adapters that will let you use that without using coax.

Old 05-08-04, 07:35 PM
Mr Monkey Pants
Visiting Guest
No. I've already established that I'll be using wireless color cameras. I need 16 of them. Some will be under the weather and some will be inside. The question, however, is how the whole thing works, what equipment will I need and what are some good choices?

Old 05-08-04, 07:57 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, I have to say, I completely agree with Ron on the wired vs. wireless. There are several other reasons, that were not stated, but, if you have made-up your mind to go wireless, who am I to question that?

So, that being said, there are many, many options for wireless. A good place to start is with your budget - this will essentially determine the quality of equipment you will be looking for. You can get everything from the El Cheapo X-10 models, all the way up to the professional-grade wireless DVR systems.

Back to the wired vs. wireless for a minute - for the price you are looking at for a 16 camera wireless system, you could probably have a professional come in and wire-up a complete DVR with professional cameras.

Make sure whatever equipment you buy you try out for a while first - I'd hate to see you buy 16 cameras that don't work as expected. Buy one and move it around to each location and see what kind of signal quality you get at each location.

Good luck!