Pricing for a home Security System(?)

Old 05-21-04, 10:35 PM
crswerd
Visiting Guest
Pricing for a home Security System(?)

My wife and I recently bought a home and we are considering a security system. I have a friend who works for a security and home theater company. Basically, he would do the hardwire install for me. Although he is a friend, i am not sure what price i should be paying for a good deal? Living in California things are a bit more pricey than other areas, so take that into consideration as well.

System Incudes:

1 Panel 832
1 Backup Battery
1 LCD Key PAd
1 Power Supply
1 Motion (3 Openings incl.)
7 Additional Openings
1 Pet Motion

Monitoring Service @ 24.95 a month

Total Quote: $699.00

Is this reasonable or at least what I should be considering for a security system? I really appreciate your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-04, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
With any contracted job, you need to compare apples to apples.

The only way to make a decision is to get three or four bids on the job with a complete description. Your friend may not like this idea, but you'll feel better about the whole thing.

fred

Old 05-22-04, 10:09 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll be totally honest, I don't know the price ranges on the West coast (seeing as how I live and work in Georgia), but to me that seems a little high for a quote from a "friend."

Now, also keep in mind that I have not seen the house, do not know what's wired/what needs to be wired, or the other specifics of the system.

However, I highly recommend you do some research online of the equipment he is installing and what you can get it for online. The system itself can be bought online for less than $300 easily (assuming all hardwired, as you mentioned.) Monitoring can be had for as low as $9.95/month (or less, if you want to take a chance) - with no contracts (you didn't mention if there was a contract involved or not with your friend, but I bet there's a 36 month contract.)

But, for the most part, that doesn't seem outrageous either. Just do as Fred suggests and get a few more quotes - also, do some research online, you may find a better deal on another system that you like better.

Good luck!