Problems adding entry codes on Ademco Vista model 50

Old 05-24-04, 08:42 PM
bkc56
Visiting Guest
Problems adding entry codes on Ademco Vista model 50

Our church has an Ademco Vista 50 system. The "powers that be" want to delete the old entry codes and create new ones, but they've forgotten the master code for it.

I've got a Vista 4110xm at home, so using it's manual I reset the master code (power off, *+#, enter new code, *99 to exit). It seems to have worked because I can enter/exit programming mode at will.

I then <i>try</i> to add an entry code ([master] 8/code [2-digit user] [4 digit code]) at which point it is suppose to prompt me for an authorization level, but it doesn't. I've tried it several times (with minor modifications) and it just seems to ignore everything. No error beeps, to prompt, nothing.

So, anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong? ADT would be happy to come out and do a service call (at $110 for the first 15 minutes) but I'd like to avoid that if I can. It shouldn't be <i>that</i> hard.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-04, 08:52 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you're doing it right, but just for review:
75 total codes, (02 to 75), any code can be a Master or Manager Code which can change other codes

You cannot pause more than 2 seconds while entering below commands or it won't work

Add Code 1. Enter Master Code + 8
2. Enter User Code location (01 to 69) + new code
3. Keypad will ask "Add New User? 0 = NO, 1 = YES", press 1
4. Keypad will ask "Authority Level ?"
1 = Master Code
2 = Manager Code
3 = User in Partition 1
4 = User in Partition 2
5 = User in Partition 3
6 = Duress/Hostage Code

5. Keypad will ask "RFButton?" Normally enter 0
6. Keypad will ask "Multi Access?" 0 to access one partition
1 to access other partitions
7. If step 6 is Yes keypad will ask "Global Arm?" if Yes code will arm all partitions

Erase Code 1. Enter Master or Manager Code + 8 (CODE)
2. Enter User Code (01 to 69)
3. Enter Master or Manager Code again
3. Keypad will say "Okay to Delete? 0 = NO, 1 = YES", press 1
4. Keypad will say "User Code Deleted"

Reprogram Installer Code + 8 + (02 to 69) + New Master Code (Keypad should beep)

Master Code

View User Info 4 digit code + **, keypad will display Authority/Partition levels
If you continue to have problems, ask ADT to download a 1234 Master Code for you - this would not require a service call, and they can do it (whether or not they will is another question.)

BTW, if you're under contract with ADT, be sure to change the Installer Code back (usually 6321) or ADT will know you've been into programming and will not warranty the system - not to mention it could violate your contract.

Good luck!

Old 05-24-04, 10:13 PM
bkc56
Visiting Guest
<b>1. Enter Master Code + 8
2. Enter User Code location (01 to 69) + new code</b>

That's exactly what I did except that there was <i>no</i> indication or response during/after that it accepted it, and there was no prompt for "new user" or anything else. Any idea why that sequence would not generate something?

<b>View User Info 4 digit code + **, keypad will display Authority/Partition levels </b>

Like the above, I tried this and also got no response. I mean, how hard can it be to enter an existing code and hit ** ? Why wouldn't it respond?

<b>be sure to change the Installer Code back </b>

What's the difference between the "installer code" and the "master code"? My impression is that only the installer, using some special "magic" could change that code, but I can and did change the master code. Am I missing something obvious here?

Again, thanks for the help/suggestions.

Old 05-25-04, 07:56 AM
S
The main differences between the installer and master codes is that the installer code is used to enter installer programming (same as pressing * & # after power up), but only when the system is disarmed. It cannot disarm the system.

The master code is used to arm and disarm the system (master codes are just high-level user codes - they can also change user codes, whereas user codes cannot change other user codes.)

Now, the installer code (*00 in installer programming) can be used to change the master code (or any other user code) which is what you are trying to do.

But, I still can't figure out why it's not working. You should be able to use the installer code to change any of the other codes.

Tip:
Be sure to check the codes after you enter them to see if they are taking are not. To do that, enter the code and press OFF - if you get a beep, then it's working, if not it's not working. You should be getting a beep after entering the new code anyway, but give it a try just to be sure.

What kind of keypad are you using to program/change codes? You will need an alphanumeric (full display keypad) to see the other user programming - if you only have a fixed display (half display, upper left corner) then you won't see the other programming prompts.

If you see "****Disarmed***** Ready to Arm" in the display, then you have an alphanumeric. If you only see "READY" or "01", "02" etc in the display, then you have a fixed display.

Keep trying, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Old 05-25-04, 08:46 AM
bkc56
Visiting Guest
<b>The main differences between the installer and master codes is ...</b>

That makes a lot of sense. So when I set a code at location *20 (after the power-on *#) was that the master or installer code I changed? Of course it sounds like (with the system disarmed) either should work for what I'm trying to do.

<b>Be sure to check the codes after you enter them to see if they are taking are not.</b>

I'm aware of that one and do it a <b>lot</b> to check if I've messed anything up. I did once, trying to set a code it somehow got into programming mode and messed up my master code (the check started to fail) so I had to do the power-on sequence again.

<b>What kind of keypad are you using to program/change codes? </b>

The alphanumeric one (don't remember the model number). So I'm getting all the prompts and text I can.

<b>Keep trying, I'm sure you'll figure it out.</b>

I'm glad one of us is confident of that...

I found a user-manual on-line last night which gave me a few idea which I'll try today (although I really don't think they'll help). I wish I could find the full programming manaul as I might discover some nasty little flag (like "disable user code changes") that I could change and get things going.

This really doesn't make sense...

Old 05-25-04, 08:53 AM
S
So when I set a code at location *20 (after the power-on *#) was that the master or installer code I changed?
That may be part of your problem - the Vista 50 uses *00 as the installer code.

Sorry, I wish I had realized you needed the installer manual:
http://manuals.safewatchservice.com - go to Downloadable Manuals.

The 4110 uses the Master and Installer as the same code. The Vista 50 is different.

Old 05-25-04, 10:11 AM
bkc56
Visiting Guest
ARGHHHH [bangs head against wall repeatedly]

OK, so ADT told us we have a Vista 50. But none of the programming steps see to work. So I decide to go re-look at the box. While the PC board doesn't seem to have any markings, the big sticker inside the door says it's a Vista 10se.

Well, that <i>would</i> explain why nothing has been working for me.

OK, so I download a new user manual, go try some stuff, have limited success, and generate some new questions.

I have two working codes: An "Installer code" (*20) that I re-set myself (using the power-on sequence), and the old entry code.

Using the installer code, I can <b>not</b> add new entry codes.

Using the old entry code, I <b>can</b> add and delete a new entry code (does that mean it's a master code?).

So, my questions:

1. On the 10se, are the master and installer codes the same or different?

2. If *20 does the installer code (how it's labeled on the control pad when I set it), how do I set the master code?

3. Why won't the installer code work to add/delete/change entry codes?

And again, thanks for the help.

Old 05-25-04, 10:33 AM
bkc56
Visiting Guest
Never mind. I have achieved enlightenment. Some web searching located this document:

http://library.ademconet.com/ademco_...objid=12419466

It has answered all my questions. The procedures work as described and I've re-set the codes.

It's amazing how easy things are when you have the right information (ie, the right model number).

I'm now.

Old 05-25-04, 05:00 PM
S
Glad you got it figured out. Yep, the 10SE is slightly different than the V50, which are both slightly different than the 4110.

Oh well, you've got it now. If you need a manual for the 10SE, you can get it at http://manuals.safewatchservice.com