can a Vista 20p call a personal cell phone?

Old 06-02-04, 08:36 AM
Keebler
Visiting Guest
can a Vista 20p call a personal cell phone?

I dont want to have to pay for monitoring services, I thought the 20p could call my cell phone but the tech at where I bought it says it just pages. I know there is two phone modules availible for my system but I'm not sure if that is what I need. Any suggestions?

vista 20p
hardwired
1 motion
6160v

Keebler

Old 06-02-04, 08:56 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The phone modules won't do you any good - they are just for calling in to the system.

You basically have 2 options:
1) A voice dialer - this is an add-on module that would be triggered when the alarm goes off (usually connected to the siren output). You record a message on the dialer and when it's triggered it calls 2, 4, or 8 phone numbers and plays the message. The problem with this setup is that you do not specific zone information or alarm information, just a generic message (so you know the alarm is going off, but you don't know why or what zone set it off.) It would be like the monitoring company calling you and saying "Hey, your alarm is going off" as opposed to "Your front door just went into alarm."

2) Using www.numericpage.com you can actually use the pager feature with text messaging on a cell phone. Last time I checked, it was about $20/year for this service (it's not necessarily for alarms, just paging a phone.) I used this for about 6 months and it works very well. With this setup, you get somewhat cryptic messages about your alarm when it goes off - for example: "1234 001 911" would be Account 1234 (optional) Zone 001 Alarm. Look in the user manual for what all the pages mean. I personally prefer this method because you will know exactly what is going on with the alarm, and it's cheaper.

Other than that, I would say go with a low-cost monitoring company. There are many out there that monitor for much less than $20/month and do not require contracts.

Good luck!

Old 08-01-05, 06:21 AM
jeffx
Visiting Guest
since the 20p can transmit x-10 signals, why not just have it transmit an x-10 code and set up a trigger for that x-10 code on your computer to e-mail your cell phone? This is what I do. Also, all the lights inside and outside flash on and off at 1 second intervals.

Old 08-17-05, 08:51 PM
ken_o
Visiting Guest
Help with progrmming x-10

Jeff,
I've been trying unsuccessfully to get my lights to flash with thw x-10 for some time now. How do you have yours programmed?

Old 08-18-05, 09:01 AM
jeffx
Visiting Guest
Vista 20P flash lights on alarm condition

*27 value set to #10 (House code K)
*79 Output 15, address = 15, type = x10
*80 Output Definitions programming menu, I have the following defined:

Output Function = 1 (use any available function number)
Activated by = 2 (zone type)
Zone Type (ZT) = 33 (Any Burglary Alarm)
Partition Number (P) = 0 (any)
Action = 3 (pulse)
Output Number = 15 (this corresponds to x-10 code K15 for my system)
Device Type = X (x10)

If you don't have scene capable x10 switches, you would need to create a separate Output definition for each light you want to flash on and off.

All of my lights use Smarthome or Insteon swithches or lamp modules and each are programmed with a scene for x10 code K15. So, x10 command "K15 On" will turn on every light in the house. "K15 Off" will turn off every light in the house. The "Pulse" action setting sends alternating on and off commands at 1 second intervals, so the lights all flash when the alarm is set off.

Old 08-18-05, 07:30 PM
ken_o
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll have to comapre this to how I have it set up and see what I missed. Thanks again.

Old 11-16-06, 09:33 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffx
since the 20p can transmit x-10 signals, why not just have it transmit an x-10 code and set up a trigger for that x-10 code on your computer to e-mail your cell phone? This is what I do. Also, all the lights inside and outside flash on and off at 1 second intervals.

jeffx... can you show me how you have this set up for paging, both on the 20P side and on your computer. Also, is anything additional required on the computer?

Thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: