HELP: BRINKS - Motion Sensor Replacement

Old 07-10-04, 02:50 PM
OnTheBrink
Visiting Guest
Question HELP: BRINKS - Motion Sensor Replacement

My family & I are about to get a new pet. The motion sensors that came w/ our Brinks system are primative and do not discriminate between people & pets. We'd like to buy & install new motion dectors ourselves that can distinguish pets from people. From my research I've seen that there are several on the market...does anyone know which sensors might be compatible w/ the Brinks system? Of those sensors do you have any that you recommend?

Our control pannel is BHS - 2000D. I've tried to talk w/ Brinks but they've been of no help so far...we'd appreciate any advice or help you all could provide.

Thank You

OnTheBrink

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-04, 08:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The dual-tech motions (PIR and Microwave technology) that Brinks installs are actually pretty good motion detectors. However, I'm not sure if they are pet-immune or not - I would think so.

Since (most) motions use just a 12VDC power input and a Normally Closed relay output (or NO/NC selectable output) on a 4 wire system, you could pretty much replace the motions with any motion on the market. Some use 24VDC, so be sure to check the specs (and of course, you can't use wireless.)

I personally like the GE/Sentrol RCR-Pet motions. They are also dual-technology and the microwave range is controllable (RCR = Range-Controlled Radar.)

Take a look at them here:
http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/prod...ine&lang=en_US

Let us know if you need any further help.

<i>NOTE: Be sure to power the system completely down (remove AC power and battery power) before you replace any components.</i>

Good luck!

Old 07-11-04, 11:46 AM
OnTheBrink
Visiting Guest
Thank You...

Brandon,

Thank you for your reply. The motion sensors that came with our system several years ago are more primative and do not include any pet filtering. Brinks actually recommended flipping the monitors upsidedown to create pet alleys. Trouble is we plan on getting a cat and as such alleys are not very useful.

I will look @ the GE brand. I've seen two other brands: Visonic K980D, DSC BV600 Bravo 6, & Optex MX-40PI. Do you have any thoughts on any of these other brands, are any better than the others or are they more or less the same? Are any of these brands one that you would avoid or choose? If you've had any experience with any of these I'd certainly appreciate your thoughts.

Also some of the models I've seen (like the DSC & the Sentrol you recommended) are dual mode Infrared & microwave, what is the advantage of having dual mode? Would you avoid single mode models?

Again I appreciate all of your help and thoughts.

Regards,

Rich

Old 07-11-04, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
Any of those brands are pretty comparable. They are all good builders that have been around for a while.

The real advantage of dual tech is that your false alarms from thermal spikes and dips (sudden blasts of hot or cold from hvac; sunlight suddenly heating a spot on the floor or furniture, etc.) are largely eliminated because there has to be physical motion _and_ heat change at the same time to trip the device.

With careful aiming, you can aim the microwave part of the sensor so that the pet is seldom or never in the field of detection.

I think that these will eventually eliminate straight IR motions in the long run.

Old 07-11-04, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think that these will eventually eliminate straight IR motions in the long run.
Absolutely - for many techs they already have

For the price, you really can't go wrong. In some cases, the dual-techs only run about another $10-15 than the PIR only motions. For the added protection and processing, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Old 07-11-04, 07:05 PM
The Alarm Guy
Visiting Guest
On The Brink,

First don't turn that detector upside down. That specific type detector will never pick up any movement at all if you do that. You say your system is a 2000d, then the motion you have IS a dual tech unless your system was converted from another brand and the technician was lazy and did not swap it out. Brandon and Ron are right, most other motions are compatable. To make that specific motion pet friendly, it will need to be moved down to approx 4ft. (give or take a few inches) form the floor AND a different lens is to be installed in it to allow the pet to walk freely under the detector's field of view. If it is mounted in an area where it can't be moved then looking buying a "pet immune" motion may be a better way to go. It's easy to swap out just make sure you power the system down first because Brinks' boards have no fuses they just short out if you cross the wires accidently. And don't buy into what some may say that brinks will know if you add anything to the board, that specific model panel will not snitch on you the monitoring center but their new 3000 series will. Good luck.

Old 07-12-04, 11:33 AM
OnTheBrink
Visiting Guest
One Last Question

I popped open one of the brinks motion detectors to check wiring before ordering. I see 4 wires attached, 2 are obviously power, the other 2 are labeled C & NC. I am guessing they both go into what is labled as NC on most detectors...does it matter how I connect these to the terminal of the new detector?

OnTheBrink

Old 07-12-04, 04:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, not really. Generally, I wire the common terminal on the motion to the same wire that's on control's zone common, but that's just because I tend to be methodical about such things. When there's no markings, I habitually put the common on the right hand terminal.

Old 07-14-08, 04:13 PM
Any options with a 3000 series?

I'm having the same problem. I have a Brinks system with a motion detector, and I have pets. The system is a 3000 series and about a year and a half old. I have a 25lb dog and a cat that jumps up on counters and other high places. I always bypass the motion sensor because I'm afraid that they will set it off. Do I have any options to switch to a pet immune sensor? Thanks!

~Januce

Old 07-14-08, 06:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hardwired motions are pretty basically interchangeable. There is no "intellgence", they work just like the motion sensor lights, it's just making a relay change states, instead of turning on a lamp.

I will warn you, that "pet immune" motions are designed around the notion that the animal stays at floor level. You may also need to make sure that your motions are not aimed at areas that the cat will be moving around above about waist level.