Distance door open before setting off alarm?

Old 08-04-04, 09:27 PM
saerandy
Visiting Guest
Distance door open before setting off alarm?

I'm installing a 20PS and powered up for the first time this evening. This is a new installation.

I used the GRI recessed door switches with the rare earth magnets. I got them for free from ADI when I walked in & asked if I could buy some Ademcos. I'm thinking the magnets are too strong because the door must open a good 12" before showing up as a fault on the panel.

What should I do? I can drill in to the door more and set the magnet further away from the contact. I can also order some Ademco contacts with a different magnet part & hope the gap shrinks. How does one "adjust" the gap? I'm pretty sure the contacts are from the 150 series. As I remember it, the freebie ADI gave me was a bag with a window switch, a normal door switch, and a switch for a metal door. There was also a GRI screwdriver in the bag.

Whoever helps on this one is aewsome! Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 08-05-04, 05:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 110 Posts
Which edge of the door did you put the contact in? If it's in the hinge side, then the door generally has to be open a fair distance to open the contact.

I've gotten to where I prefer the upper quarter of the latch side. All too often, the header gap on modern doors has proven problematic, and so many new construction buildings in FL now have massive headers in the openings, so gettiing the wire to the top of the door frame has gotten tougher.

Setting the magnet further in might help, but other than that, there really isn't any "adjustment" for magnetic contacts.

Old 08-05-04, 06:55 PM
saerandy
Visiting Guest
Yep . . . This is the problem. I put the switches on the hinge side. I'm ordering some rollerballs & I'll drill out the magnetic switches & replace. It didn't seem right when I was installing them, but it's not a big deal at this point. Try, Try Again. . .

Thanks MrRon!

Old 08-06-04, 03:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 119 Votes on 110 Posts
It may not be a real issue. Not many people are going to slip through a 12" gap. If, on the other hand, the issue is minding small children, then swap out the contacts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: