Insect Screens?

Old 08-23-04, 08:35 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insect Screens?

Hi, I have recently purchased a home with a DSC1550 alarm system installed. About half of my windows have what look like Insect screens in front of them, on the inside of the window. There is a connector that looks like a telephone jack coming from the rod holding up the screen, but the jacks are not hooked up to the phone system. ( I am not using the alarm at this time, no codes and it is completly powered down, but I am thinking about it in the future.) Could someone please tell me what these screens are and how they work? I think that they relate to the alarm system, but I am not sure.

Thanks,

Glenn

Old 08-23-04, 08:50 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
These are simply just wired security screens. They work 2 ways:
1) There is a continuous wire running through the screen, if it's cut, the alarm is tripped
2) There is a contact (usually magnetic, sometimes just a plug of sorts) that will trip the alarm if the screen is removed

They are a great idea, but they usually false frequently (like every time the wind blows) and they require a lot of maintainance.

If they have been installed for a while and are not connected, I would leave them off the system. They are usually more problems than they are worth - get a motion detector

Good luck!

Old 08-24-04, 07:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Upvotes on 240 Posts
You find these things a lot on out-swing casement windows and awning windows. And I'll second that emotion; they are generally a big headache, especially if they've not been kept up.

Old 08-26-04, 07:52 PM
D
Thanks!

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help!
I do have one more question, I have been reviewing previous posts here and something called a "hardware zone expander" has been mentioned. I would like to find out more about these and downloaded the current DSC product catalog, but I didn't find one listed. Would you be able to tell me what would be compatabile with my alarm? Info about old parts numbers or new stuff would be great. (The current system has 6 zones, 5 of which are connected)

Glenn

Old 08-26-04, 09:02 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There's basically nothing available for the DSC 1550 system. If you want to expand the system in any way, you need to upgrade to a newer DSC panel, or do yourself a big favor and replace it with an ITI Concord Express or even an Ademco system.

All you will have to replace will be the control panel and keypads - the door contacts, motions, etc. can stay.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: