Moose Z1100 Reprogramming help

Old 09-05-04, 11:08 AM
TJones
Visiting Guest
Moose Z1100 Reprogramming help

Success! It seems it's very easy to get off track when in address program mode. It was pretty much getting the right digits in the right address locations.

One follow up question then, should I reprogram everything back to the way it was originally programmed? How much variation is there across the industry?

From earlier reply:

I'm trying to reporgram my system so that it can work with ADT. The system was installed by a previous owner, and I'm trying to get set up with ADT. I think they had Dynamark before. I've managed to reprogram the user codes, and can get it into address program mode, but it seems very touchy, and I can't program the whole number without resetting the system.

I'm following the install manual instructions to the letter, but something doesn't seem to work right. If I can demonstrate to the installer how to program it, I can avoid buying a new system. So:

1. Anyone know any tips for programming?

2. Is it likely that the Moose Z1100 panel is compatible with ADT? What standards does ADT use? There are baud rate choices, etc. in the set up.

Thanks
Tjones

Last edited by TJones; 09-05-04 at 06:18 PM. Reason: UPDATE: PHONE # REPROGRAMMED!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-04, 11:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
For one thing, the Z1100 sends the 3/1 format, which ADT may not want to mess with (they generally favor contact ID and 4/2), so there needs to be a 3 digit account number.

These panels can be a right jolly headache to get programmed for monitoring.
The format that works best for most recievers is the second one (Acron, etc.)

When you are in address programming, do you have the program switch closed?

Finally, verify which model you have. There are significant differences between Z1100 I, II, and e models where programming is concerned.

Upgrading your hardware may be a realistic thought. Assuming the hardware to be in good condition, the Z1100 _will_ do the job, but as you have seen, it is neither installer nor user friendly. I can and do make them work, but they usually eat up a disproportionate amount of my time to do so.

Old 09-05-04, 05:32 PM
TJones
Visiting Guest
Re: Moose Z1100 reprogramming help

Thanks. It looks like it's a Z1100 I. The keypads and outside of the main unit say Dynamark, where the panel inside the box has the Moose markings, it says Z1100, no other descriptions of part numbers or models. There was also an install / programming and operations manual left with it. This book has the Moose Z1100 "System I" description.

I do have the program switch closed when programming. It's the safety pin / hook style. I turn the unit off, close the switch, and power it up. The keypads beep 4 times, then there are no LEDs lit. Press 0 once to get into address program mode, I think it beeps once then. When I enter the address to program, it replies by lighting the binary number representing the value stored in that memory address. So far, this part works. I can then enter a new value, then to roll onto the next address up, hit the # key. This also works, and it will display the previously programmed value.

This is where things go wrong. It seems I can not program more than two addresses this way without having to reset the unit. If I try to program a third address, either by direct access to the address, or # key, it starts displaying only the value of the address I enter, instead of the value in the address location. As an example, if I first power up with the program switch closed, then hit 0, I can enter address 068. I can enter a new value, it accepts it, then I hit #, and the value of 069 is displayed. I can enter a new number there, then if I hit # again, the LEDs will display 070 binary, not the value that is in 070! It seems like it is out of program mode at this point. The only way to get it back in is to cycle power to the main panel. Hitting the * key and the code to get back into program mode , 9-9-8-7-6-5, doesn't always seem to work.

To complicate things, I also have DSL service at home. Right now, I can't put a microfilter in place, since the alarm panel has an RJ-31 plug and jack. My microfilters have RJ 11 connections. That can be remedied in the future. I'm not sure if the DSL connection will interfere with the alarm panel; you're supposed to put these filters on anything that isn't a DSL device, since they say DSL signals can interfere with normal analog phone devices. I've tested that jack with a regular phone, it seems to work OK. My experiment is to see if I can reprogram the dialer to call my cell phone, as proof to the ADT guys that it can be reprogrammed. If I can't do that, I'll have to get new hardware. I've already commited to the service with ADT, so I'll have to go with their hardware. I get a pretty substantial discount through my insurance company, though I'm starting to feel like ADT may be like a Bally's health club membership; everyone gets a discount if they demand it.

Does it sound like I'm doing something wrong when programming, or is this the jolly headache part?

Thanks again,
Tjones

Old 09-06-04, 05:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
There is a DSL filter specifically for RJ-31x jacks that preserves the alarm line siezure mechanism. Your DSL provider should be able to get them, or you can get them directly from Excelsus. DSL and alarm panels is an erratic mix without the filter, at best.

The programming headaches are just the way these panels are. You can follow the instructions exactly and a split-second hesitation in your keystroke will kick you out (after 8 seconds between keystrokes, you have to start over). You have to plan out your entrys ahead and do them in a smooth flow.

I'll tell you the unvarnished truth. ADT doesn't want to mess with this thing. They can't use their pre-defined templates or preferred monitoring method, and can't program it remotely (unless it's an unusually dealer).