Safewatch Pro 2000 to Use as Pool Alarm

Old 09-05-04, 01:41 PM
WenEng
Visiting Guest
Safewatch Pro 2000 to Use as Pool Alarm

undefinedundefined
I bought someone's safewatch pro 2000 alarm. It has a 6137 keypad.
I wanted to branch off my Brinks system to use 11 window/door exits to trigger an instant alarm. From inside, I can use the * (reset) on the keypad to go outside without triggering the alarm. I can figure out how to do all that and have tested it successfully. What I would like to do is to install some simple push button outside to do the same as the *(reset) button on the keypad. I could use some help on what to use and how to wire that up.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-04, 08:48 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could do this.....

in theory. The idea is that you would open up the keypad and carefully solder a wire on each side of the key for "*", then run these wires to the location of your outdoor switch. You could then connect the switch to the wires.... something similair to a doorbell switch. The wiring could be telephone wire. When you pressed the outdoor switch, the keypad would think that you had pressed the * key at the panel. As I said this could work in theory---- I would strongly recommend something else. You would need very good soldering skills, trying to solder on a circuit board trace is very very difficult. Also the legnth of the wire could cause the keypad not to work properly.... also any shorts, water intrusion or switch problems could render your whole alarm system inoperative.

--On second thought, why not just add another keypad at the outdoor location? I don't work in this field, but I'm sure someone here could recommend an all-weather keypad that would hook up to your system.

Best of Luck!!

Old 09-06-04, 06:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Are you trying to generate a bell/siren output, or just the keypad sounder? The answer will be different depending on what you do. Are you simply programming these zones as a type 5 (trouble by day/alarm by night)?

Old 09-06-04, 07:04 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wait - I think we need a little more explanation. You mention in your post that you bought a SafeWatch Pro, then you say you have a Brinks that you want to delay. I'm somewhat confused by this - which system are you trying to work on?

Old 09-07-04, 10:50 AM
WenEng
Visiting Guest
Safewatch Pro for Pool Alarm

I want to trigger a alarm siren if the doors or windows were opened. I also wanted to be able to go out or return through the door without triggering the alarm, by using the * reset button when I am inside the house going out. When I am outside the house I didn't want to put another keypad outside just to push a reset button so I could come back inside. I have a Brinx alarm system installed and monitored. Brinx was zero help when I asked to use 11 of my exit windows/doors to trigger a resettable pool alarm. I am not expert in alarms and the safewatch pro system was my idea of using a seperate system but branching it off 11 of the Brinks sensors on those 11 exit points.
I would LOVE to be able to have the chime alarm trigger a siren too, but I don't know how to do that.

Old 09-07-04, 07:53 PM
D
Asked Brinks?

I don't know anything about security systems and I am assuming that you would like somehting to let you know when someone has left the house to go into the pool. I am thinking that maybe you simply need to know when someone was in the pool. I was wondering if you asked Brinks if they have an accessory or something that could monitor the pool and talk to the security system? ( You may be able to find something made by another company that would interface to the Brinks system). I know they used to have a device that you floated in the pool and it would pick up waves and sound an alarm.... another possiblilty might be an outdoor motion senser aimed toward the pool, but maybe get one that would ignore small animals??? Anyway, just some thoughts..... as before, hope this helps.

Last edited by Desy2820; 09-07-04 at 07:58 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-08-04, 02:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
I suspect that a dedicated pool alarm unit may be really what you are after. This one: http://www.grisk.com/poolalarm/pool_alarm_open.htm is simple, inexpensive, and requires no programming. It's pretty audible.

Alarm panels, especially by different manufacturers, won't share contacts easily. I probably could puzzle out a way to do what you are after, but it would take a good bit of fiddling with it. You say that there are 11 doors and windows involved in the perimeter of this pool. Realistically, only the doors are of real concern where pool access in concerned.