Concord Express vs Simon 3

Old 09-13-04, 12:01 PM
ets
Visiting Guest
Concord Express vs Simon 3

I live in an older home that came with a Brinks system. It currently powers 3 motions and the keypad, so I know there is power. We would like to install a new system that does not use as much motion detection as we have a number of pets, and upgrading the Brinks is too $$$. Wireless for the windows and doors is a must, though one door may have an imbedded wired sensor - I don't know if it works. In the end, we would have 4 doors with recessed sensors, and 8 to 14 windows (all windows wireless). In the future, maybe wireless smoke.

Our current Brinks keypad location is fine, and it lights up, but I did cut and re-splice the wires (very poorly, with only electrical tape, as I didn't think I would ever use them again!) and now they are under drywall. Would it be risky to use the same location and wire, or should I run new wire if I choose the Concord. It would mean another hole in the wall. Or, does the Simon 3 make more sense? The less wiring I have to do the better - my walls are plaster. Is there a programable wireless pad for Concord?

Is there a problem having the keypad and panel in one box like the Simon setup?

Thanks for any advice on how to proceed!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-04, 06:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
I'd be inclined toward the Concord Express. The spliced wires are a bit of a concern, better splices with good crimp connectors, or solder joints would save a lot of future headaches. There's no wireless keypad for the Concord.

For what you want to do, you would likely find the Simon a less than perfect fit, that mix of wired and wireless isn't something it does gracefully for more than two zones worth.

There are wireless keypads for a number of the panel brands, such as Honeywell/Ademco, DSC, FBII, Napco, and a couple of others, but they generally recommend that the wireless not be the only keypad on the system.

If you go with something like the Concord you can always put the keypad on an easy wall to access from the panel location, and do your routine are/disarm with a wireless key device.

Old 09-13-04, 08:46 PM
ets
Visiting Guest
Thanks - if I went purely wireless and abandoned the wired sensors I have (they might not be working anyway), would you still stick with the Concord Express?

Are there problems with the all in one design of the Simon 3? Set up wise, it seems easier than the Concord.

Old 09-14-04, 06:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
For a DIY, I think that the Concord installation instructions are easier than those for the Simon. They are certainly better laid out. In my opinion, the Simon is not as simple as it would seem on first look, and definitely not as flexible.