How to Wire Window Contacts?

Old 09-13-04, 09:11 PM
pspenn
Visiting Guest
How to Wire Window Contacts?

Good Day All,
I am pre-wiring a house and have not installed alarm contacts until now. Can someone point me in the direction of some good instructions on connecting the contacts?

Here is what I have done thus far.
I have layed out 6 zones over 38 locations.

I plan on looping all windows in each room to their respective zones. To do this, I run 22/2 wire to the first location in the zone and splice in one contact to 1 of the two wires. I repeat this step throughout the loop keeping the wire consistant until the last contact, at which time I connect the second wire thus completing the loop.

If this is the correct way, will someone please confirm?
I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,
Perry

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-04, 06:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
It's not the _best_ way, but it will work.
The drawback of doing this daisy chain method is that if you have a wire damage problem, the whole loop is screwed. If you still have the chance, it's much better, if more labor and wire, to home run each opening back to the panel location. It's much easier to troubleshoot, and more flexible in configuration.

Old 09-15-04, 02:59 PM
pspenn
Visiting Guest
Good Advise

Thanks for that advise. Unfortunately I have looped the zones on this particular house. However, I have 7 more homes coming up and will certainly use your suggestion. It makes total sense....

Thanks again,
Perry

Old 09-15-04, 03:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Abo****ely the best way is what MrRon has stated...run all windows and doors back to the panel location individually and series your wires to the zones at the panel. Makes for easier troubleshooting and if you have to remove a window from the loop its only 1 not all.
The only other differance that occurs from time to time is that if you have 2 windows side by side sometimes you will have 1 wire for these 2 windows. It really depends on the site and if the customer is trying to go for maximum expansion every opening on its own zone.