Window contacts - pvc frames

Old 10-01-04, 05:38 AM
podge
Visiting Guest
Question Window contacts - pvc frames

Hi
Have just wired up house under construction with 6-core cable to all exit-entry points, keypads, panic button, internal bell and external box. 2 things:

1- window frames are chunky pvc type i.e frame is not flush with opening; how should contacts and magnets be attached to pvc, and how to get around 1/2 inch difference in levels?

2- have i left out wiring for anything obvious?

Thanks,
Pat,
Ireland :

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-04, 03:18 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Hmm, those can be kind of tricky. If the house is still open framing, the best solution might be either a flush style contact in the frame (if there is room in or on the moving sash for either the standard magnet, or one of the small rare earth magnets). The other option in the same situation would be a plunger type switch (not the best choice, but sometimes the only option).

Check the websites for George Risk Industries, Amseco, Sentrol, and the like. There are a huge variety of contact and switch designs, some of which are designed to deal with these tricky windows.

Old 10-01-04, 04:59 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I prefer to use the small donut-shaped rare earth magnets. For one thing they can be double-sticky mounted, if you don't want to drill a hole. But you also have the option of installing a center screw to hold it in.

Since it's a rare earth magnet, it's somewhat stronger than the recessed magnets - so the gap will be covered better.

Good luck!