Writing DSC832 Monitoring Software

Old 10-01-04, 03:57 PM
sixdoubleo
Visiting Guest
Writing DSC832 Monitoring Software

OK... I got my DSC832. Don't quite have it hooked up yet, but I am amazed that there is no monitoring software available for it. So unless somebody can point me in the right direction, I am going to write one.

I'm looking for some feedback...

Basically the PC5400 will output all events to a serial line printer. I haven't seen the output, but I'm assuming it'll look something like this:

10/03/2004 17:56:18 : PART 1 ZONE 07 EVENT 003
10/03/2004 17:56:21 : PART 1 ZONE 04 EVENT 011

Anybody ever seen what this output looks like?

Anyway, regardless....as long as I can make sense of the output, it would be small potatoes to write a utility to receive this text on a PC's serial port, decipher it, and then do something based on some rules the user specifies (send an email, a page, turn on/off X10 stuff, run Girder, turn on the stereo, etc)

Like I said...I have been looking for such a piece of software and am amazed that nothing exists. So with that, I'll be writing this soon. Is this something that other DSC users would be interested in???

Old 10-14-04, 09:34 AM
datateam
Visiting Guest
I was wondering if you have had any luck with writing software for the dsc832. We are thinking about attempting the same project. Looking into purchasing the PC5400 module for the serial output. Then connect that to a computer.

If you have any luck, plus let me know. I'll even donate a few dollars if you get something working.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: