Electronic Siren Pulsating Noise

Old 10-05-04, 11:16 AM
Jello4
Visiting Guest
Electronic Siren Pulsating Noise

I installed a new alarm system this weekend and I am having a problem. I have a internal electronic Siren that makes a low pulsating noise when hooked up on Output2. When the alarm is in the tripped state, the siren is working just fine, but in the standby state it groans. This output has the choice to be a Siren driver for speakers, or +12VDC for electronic Sirens such as the one I have. I have it set for +12V. This output is also supervised, which I think is the cause of my problem. I think the Alarm System is putting a small current/voltage on the output to supervise the circuit which is causing my Siren to make this low pulsating noise. I checked for a setting to disable supervision for this output and was not able to find any. Do you have any ideas, short of replacing the siren - which I will do if necessary, but there must be some way to silence this guy. Could it be as simple as an EOL resistor? If it is an EOL resistor, what will happen when the system is putting +12V on the line?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-04, 06:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Yes, a resistor across the siren will eliminate the bleed through. The resistor is so much higher resistance than the siren, that the voltage will bypass it for the easier path of the device when the current is flipped for the siren power.

Old 10-05-04, 07:16 PM
Jello4
Visiting Guest
What size?

What size would you suggest? I tried a 2.2K EOL resistor, while it did reduce the noise it did not eliminate it. Do you have any practical tips? I would think I would want to use a lower resistance to draw more current? no?

Old 10-06-04, 05:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
What system is it? The correct answer will vary. Often the recommended size is buried in the install manual text.