LCD5501Z Keypad Locked up on DSC Power 832

Old 10-29-04, 02:02 PM
Gary_A
Visiting Guest
LCD5501Z Keypad Locked up on DSC Power 832

I am trying to install a DSC Power 832 security system. When I first powered it up the LCD5501Z keypad seemed to work fine.

Now it does not seem to accept any kepad input. The clock works and the lights come on when you press a key, but I get no other response.

I have tried to reset the board but I do not get any response when I do that either.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-04, 04:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check your connections to the keypad bus well.

When you activated the system, did you activate supervision for the keypad? It sounds like you may have accidentally logged the keypad into the wrong partition, or possibly into the wrong slot (At least one LCD keypad must be in slot 8). If you installed it as a "global" keypad, it will not display any information until you select a partition.

There are a lot of booby traps in the setup process for these systems. They are very flexible, but the number of options can be a bit of a trap.

Old 10-30-04, 07:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Press * for 2 seconds, then press 1. Now go into installer programming and program the keypad for Slot 1, Partition 1. That should do it.

Old 06-21-06, 04:15 PM
Same problem

I have a LCD5501Z keypad, DSC832 panel. Equipment installed and now attempting to program.
I went thru the keypad assignment sequence *8 5010 000 0 01
The keypad now displays the time (incorrectly because it was not yet programmed) and does not respond to my keypad input. I tried * for two seconds the 1, to no avail. I also tried doing a hardware sytem panel reset to no avail.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the keypad to respond? Is there a way to reset the kaypad to the defaults?

Old 06-21-06, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You programmed the keypad as a "Global". What you should have entered after entering program mode was: 000 0 11.

From section 3.6 of the installation manual.
A global keypad will not display any information (the trouble LED will light if a trouble condition is present) until a partition is selected. To select a partition the user must press and hold the [1] key for Partition 1 or the [2] key for Partition 2 for two seconds. The keypad will then display the status of the selected partition and allow normal operation.
A Partition keypad will display the status of the Partition for which it has been programmed. A user with access to both partitions may temporarily assign the keypad to the other partition to gain access. To do this the user must first press and hold the [#] key for two seconds. The keypad will go blank. The user must then press and hold the [1] key for Partition 1 or the [2] key for Partition 2 for two seconds. The keypad will then display the status of the selected partition and allow normal access.
Once you have access to partition 1 you can get into programming to set the keypad correctly.

Note: the programming on DSC modules and keypads is independent of the main panel programming. Defaulting the main panel doesn't reset module and keypad settings.

Old 06-22-06, 04:31 AM
It worked

Thank you very much.