becoming a security installer

Old 11-19-04, 03:47 PM
Sameagle
Visiting Guest
becoming a security installer

Hey Guys,

New here... was hoping i could get a little help.. I own a structured wiring company in Florida that does pretty much every type of wiring (audio, data, cable, etc) except security.. I watch the guys install the security wiring everyday and it seems like it would be right up our alley... I dont want to monitor it or anything... would just hand that off to the one of the big companies in town (ie ADT).. My question is, how do i find out what certifications or experience I need to become a certified installer.. Do I need anything special? Seems pretty simple, all low voltage.. I need to learn exactly how a typical wire job is done and what (if any) liability we would have as a company by putting the wire in... I know our builders would trust us to install it.. i just want to cover all the bases... If anyone knows the answer to this drawn out question or the right direction to point me in, i would be forever grateful.. Thanks a million guys.

Even

Old 11-20-04, 05:55 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Really interesting question, you may need to check out a couple of the Security organizations like the NBFAA/NTS {Founded in 1948, the National Burglar & Fire Alarm Association (NBFAA) is the nation's oldest and largest association dedicated to representing, promoting, and supporting the electronic life safety, security, and systems industry. Through a federation of state associations, NBFAA reaches grass roots members, enabling them to band together on national issues, and delivering to them industry information, professional development tools, products, and services.} AFAA; ALAS; ASIS; CANASA, CSAA, NAAA and SIA{security industry association}. Google may help you with most of this its the best way to do some research on the industry...as a tech I have a license and have to do training and get CEU's and continue education in the industry. Sorry if this is too broad but its the best I can think of to help you out.

Old 11-20-04, 07:59 AM
Sameagle
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info

What did you have to do before you could start installing the wire into houses? Just curious.. thanks

Old 11-20-04, 09:49 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In Florida, you must have a low voltage Alarm license (not just any low voltage license) - I forget exactly what it's called. I have a GA LV license which is reciprocal to FL, so I'm considering getting mine in FL. However, it's not as simple as just filling out the forms - there are a lot of qualifications one must have.

Check with the contruction industry licensing board to see what you need to do to get a license. There is an exam involved also (the person who passes the exam is your "qualifying agent" - this person will be the one to apply for the license.)

It's pretty complicated in FL - in GA all we have to do is have one licensed tech per office. It's much more complicated than that in FL.

Good luck!

Old 11-20-04, 06:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
If you already have an EC license, then the only other thing you need is for your workers to get their Alarm System Agent certs. If you have one of the other licenses, then you need to go here: http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/pro/el...ct_codes.shtml
and see where your current certification sits.

Old 11-21-04, 02:58 PM
D
ummm its been many years like 13 since I took my test to get my license for the Texas Commission on Private Security Alarm Installer, thats the license in Texas for alarm installers and you have to update it with classes and gaining CEU's. I also have a Fire Alarm Technicians license from the state of Texas. I am sure its just a matter of tests and stuff, subcontractors do security installation work for us and they have to have certifications and insurance also. Definatly check with your state.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: