System for New Home

Old 01-29-05, 06:54 PM
pakalas
Visiting Guest
System for New Home

Aloha,

Currently my house is being built. I am trying to decide if I should go hard-wired, wireless, or the combo of the two on an alarm system. If I go hardwired, I can run the wires before the walls go up. All I need is a basic alarm system with a keypad, switches on 2 doors, 2-3 motion detectors, and 1 to 2 sirens. Anyone out there can suggest what brand and system that would fit my needs? Mahalo!

Old 01-29-05, 07:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Hardwire for sure. Wireless is a nice add-on for things like remote keys and the like, but in the long run, wired contacts, motions, glassbreaks, and so forth are the better choice.

Your choice is systems is largely dictated by what features you want. The Concord Express is a nice hybrid with both wireless and hardwire that would likely fill your bill.

Old 01-30-05, 08:38 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I completely agree - not only will hardwire hold-up better, but it could potentially save you hundreds in parts (wired doors cost about $15/door or window - wireless is $50 plus.) The $15 may sound high, but if you take into consideration time, wire, and parts, it works out to about $15 per.

The advantage to wireless is that it only takes about 10 minutes to install a wireless sensor, whereas hardwired can take up to an hour (for the amateur installer.)

The Concord Express is a great choice. Easy to install and program, and, as Ron mentioned, it includes hardwired and wireless.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-05, 05:59 PM
pakalas
Visiting Guest
MrRonFL and SafeWatch

Thanks for the quick response and great info. Looks like I'll be purchasing the Concord Express Basic Kit w/2x16 LCD Programmer Keypad . What do you guys recommend for hardwired motion, door contact, and siren for this system. There is so much I don't know what is what. I don't need anything fancy. Surface magnetic sensors will do for the doors and a basic (I don't own a house pet) motion sensor will do. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: