Non-Responsive Ademco Vista 20SE

Old 02-10-05, 08:50 PM
B8B
Visiting Guest
Angry Non-Responsive Ademco Vista 20SE

Hi, Folks,

On my wired system, the Ademco 6128 remote keypad has taken to being 'non-responsive'. It beeps when keys are pressed, but there is no 'response' beep, and commands are not executed (e.g. it will not arm!).

I suspected low voltage, since the green 'ready' LED seems dim, and sure enough, the voltage across the red and black wires is only about 7VDC, not the expected 12VDC. The power transformer is fine (~16VAC), the backup battery is old but fine (~12v), and it's charging circuit is fine (~13.5VDC). I also checked the voltage to the keypad at the output of the controller, to see if there's a wiring problem, but it also shows only about 7V.

I'm electronically inclined, but don't have a schematic for the Vista 20SE(does anyone out there have one?), so I'm looking for any gems from the gang:

1) Has anyone had this type problem? If so, how was it resolved?
2) Does anyone have any suggestions to further troubleshoot?
3) If the controller is the problem, can it be repaired? If not, where's a good source for a replacement (or upgrade)?

That should be enough questions from a new member. Thanks in advance for the help.

B8B
Atlanta, GA

Old 02-11-05, 04:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
That doesn't really sound good. If there are any other things like motions tapped onto the 12v power tap along with the keypad, you might try removing them and seeing if the voltae comes back up. It's very possible that the regulated 12v output section of that board is failing. If so, all you really can do is replace the panel. It's _possible_ that the keypad is what's causing the issue, but I rather doubt it.

Any current generation ademco panel should replace it. I'm sure you can get the Vista 20se board only, without the other hardware for a reasonable price. It's not the latest and greatest, but it's still a solid panel, and still in production, as far as I know.

Just be forwarned, ademco programming can be fiendishly complex, and if you don't have an alpha keypad, you want one.

You might want to read through the various ademco programming topics scattered through this forum.

Alternately, you can simply start fresh with a new panel and keypad. There are a lot of alternatives, and many are _much_ easier to configure.

Old 02-11-05, 07:17 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
to check on low voltage remove the k.p from its current location and connect it direct to panel with a short wire and try to remove all devices with power like motions and smoke and so on. if so you need a power supply.

Old 02-12-05, 07:55 PM
B8B
Visiting Guest
The Plot Thickens!

Thanks for the responses.

- I removed the keypad and checked the voltages both at the keypad connector and the controller - both only 6.7VDC (1/2 of expected).

- The only other device powered from those terminals (#s 4 and 5) of the Vista 20SE controller was the motion detector. I disconected both the keypad and motion detector positive (red) wires from terminal #5 and checked the voltage at the terminal - still only 6.7V!

I can now confirm a sick controller . As I see it, I now have two practical options:
A) Replace the controller.
B) Run 12VDC from the gel-cell battery backup to the keypad and motion detector. (I checked, and it's still being charged by it's own circuit at 13.5VDC .

What's wrong with option B)? What am I missing here?

Thanks again.

[why are there 2 12VDC circuits in the first place?]

Old 02-13-05, 06:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
The aux/keypad power is cleaner (filtered). The upshot is that this is probably the first symptom of a panel that is slowly failing. All of the workarounds will only get you borrowed time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: