Help with old radio shack alarm.....

Old 03-13-05, 06:36 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with old radio shack alarm.....

Hello all,
I have a problem with my home alarm system that I purchased approximatley 23 years ago at radio shack. I know some will say it's time to replace, but for now I would like to just fix this system. What happened was, I moved the wired motion sensor, but before I did that I was trying to kill the power to the sensor. I only unpluggged one power pack from an outlet, but that didnt kill the power. So I then unwired the sensor and moved it, and then rewired the sensor. I then plugged the powerpack back in. The system has no identifying info , other than the name safe house on the case of the control center. Now when I go to set the alarm, it will not set. The system has a battery backup, but i'm wondering if maybe the batteries are dead and when I unplugged the powerpack, maybe the system lost the code. I know this sytem is ancient, but if anyone could be advise What I can do to fix this it would be appreciated. Can anyone tell me how to change the code on this system. the keypad is about as basic as can be, with numbers 0-9 and * and #. Thank you in advance for the help.

Old 03-13-05, 06:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 128 Posts
All I can say is to try radio shack itself. I've seen one of these things working, and the owner had all of the manuals, so I was able to service it, but that was 3 years ago.

I suspect that you were right, in that it reset itself to the default (probably 1234). If you have not even opened the cabinet to see if there's a battery, and it's more than 5 years old, then the battery is most likely dead. Hopefully, you didn't short anything moving the motion.

Old 03-14-05, 08:39 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply....
I forgot to mention that when I opened the box to the control center I did see two battery power packs inside. As far as i know these are the original batteries so i'm sure they are dead. Does anyone have any idea how to change the code on this system. Without the manuals i'm clueless and could'nt even begin to huess how to do this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-21-05, 02:02 PM
ronpp
Visiting Guest
Changing code on the system

This reply is probably too late to be of any value, since you posted in March and I just found it now. But here's how you change the code on the keypad. When you power on the preset factory code will be in effect if your code was lost. This code is [1234]

To change it:

1. Press[*]
2. enter the current code, eg. [1234]
3. enter your new code 4 digits any you choose
4. Press[*] a final time to complete the code entry.

Note: if you take longer than 10 seconds to complete step 2, 3 or 4, the pad will automatically reset to the old code.
You would have to begin again with step 1.

If you make an error while programming, press [#] to clear and begin again.

I hope this is of some value, but I'm sure you've solved your problem by now. Ronpp

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: