I'd like to replace my Brinks alarm

Old 03-14-05, 07:17 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile I'd like to replace my Brinks alarm

I have a new house with a previous installation of a Brinks system (BHS 1000C). It's not connected to the phone, nor the panels, nor Brinks anymore but all the wiring is in place. The sensors still light up and such and I'd like to get a new system and it would be great to find a reputable website store that is trustworthy (BBB cert. would be best). (I'm aware of the safewatch site and was wondering, with his recent banning, if that's a direction I should take.) I'll need no monitoring and I'm sure I can reprogram\rewire what I replace\install. I know I'll at least need a programmable panel and a control-board. It would be nice to have the auto-phone option.

I've kept an eye on the forums for quite sometime and see a lot about the GE/ITI Concord control and the Concord express NX-8. Are there some websites I can check out, that you can be posted w/o it being against the forum rules? I'd like to spend less then $400 (if possible) and hardwire would be best to start off with with the option to expand to wireless and such later.

(It would be great if I could go down to the mall\Frye's\Best Buys\Radio Shack and peruse the isles and make my choice, but I've never seen anything like this out there...)

Thanks

Old 03-15-05, 08:57 AM
NJMountains
Visiting Guest
I would suggest a GE/ITI Concord w/an LCD keypad. You need an LCD keypad to program. You can add the phone module(arm/disarm remotely) if you like.
The Concord Express does not support the phone module and I believe is limited to 12 hardwired intrusion zones.
The NX-8 is GE/Caddx. I have never installed one, but do have a programming manual for it. In my opinion, the GE Concord series is much more user friendly from a programming point of view.
As far as purchasing, try a Google search. No recommendations however as I do not know who is reputable.

Old 03-19-05, 01:42 PM
S
Update

I just made a purchase of a GE Wireless Security (80-268) Concord Starter Kit w/16 Wireless Zones and a GE/ITI Concord Phone (60-777-01) Interface and Voice Module. I should be getting them shipped to me this week. I'll let you know how it goes. There's room for expandability for later and just enough now to replace my existing system.

Thanks NJMountains for the info and suggestions.

Old 03-28-05, 10:51 AM
S
Arrow Installed it, but haven't powered up yet...

First I disconnected all the power sources. Then I took some digital snapshots of the original security system setup for reference before dismantling it. When I disconnected each of the wires I labeled each one with the connection that they had on the original system with scotch tape and a pen. That made reconnecting to my new system a lot easier - most could be transfered exactly 1 to 1 match. Only a few differences existed.

One difference was that the old system said speaker and it was connected only to #6. (I think it is only a 8 ohm piezo speaker, although I'm not sure. I've never seen\heard it.) I connected it to the new system at #4 and #10 which was the 12+ and Output 2, respectively. The instructions mentioned that I should also connect 1 resistor that came with the system. I did this carefully, by slightly bending each end of the wire and placing it behind the screws (#4 & #10 also) and tightened everything.

I also swapped out the old transformer with the new Elk one which seems to be just about the same specs. The new backup battery specs are the same as the original but the unit is smaller.

I also temporarily connected the prog. keypad directly to the system so I can watch the power-up sequence. Later I'll power-down, disconnect this and move this out to the desired location on the wall.

I finished all this right before bed, and rather then test fate, I'm waiting until this evening to power it up. I hope it works OK, I've done wiring work before by this will be my first security system. Things look OK and all the wires in place, I believe.

Are there any last minute things I should be aware of that I may have forgotten or not known? I hope it works and doesn't blow up or fries the system. I'll let you know.

Old 03-28-05, 01:24 PM
S
It maybe a speaker. If so you either need to use a siren driver or buy a self contained siren. Avalible for viewing at the famous electronics chain out there
I hope I was vague enough not to break any rules

Old 03-28-05, 01:35 PM
S
Thumbs up Powered-up the system and all looks OK

Thanks SteveFl! I believe I caught your drift on the siren available from the shack which contains the radio. Could have been more vague though. If my fire alarm isn't the piezo speaker kind I may consider swapping it out with one that is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update: I powered up the system and all looks OK, with the minor of exceptions that learning the systems programming will cure soon enough. (The * blinks letting me now there is trouble with the setup)

I still have to install the phone module and test that out tomorrow. But I think that should be fine. Most all the zones test w/o issue!

Thanks

Last edited by Savage; 03-28-05 at 06:46 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: