Can wireless systems be jammed?

Old 03-23-05, 02:59 PM
realwomble
Visiting Guest
Can wireless systems be jammed?

I had pretty much settled on an ITI/GE Concord Ultra system with wireless sensors for our new home.

I do have one concern that I've not yet found answer to... are these systems succeptable to jamming?

If not, why not (configuration, etc)?

Clarfication - obviously they *can* be jammed... but can the system detect this and activate an alarm (for example).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-05, 03:52 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
I know that the receiver for the Networx system has a jam detect option, since these use the same transmitters as the ITI system, the option's probably built into the Concord as well. Which of the nested menus it's in, is a good question.

Old 03-23-05, 06:01 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm looking in the book. looks like jam detect is always on. the only mention is in the phone module. options are report to central or not. I couldn't tell you if it generates an alarm or a trouble. says if no signals received from wireless sensor for two hours or a jammed codition this will be generated. from that i would gather it is just a trouble

Old 03-23-05, 10:49 PM
realwomble
Visiting Guest
Hmm... so isn't the whole thing rather pointless - jam it and then have 2 hours to take what you want? Or am I misinterpreting?

Old 03-24-05, 05:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well no I believe in a jamming type situation its not a lack of signal its a constant signal which the panel would react to immediately a complete loss of signal would take up to 2 hrs in a ul programmed system random if it isnt. up to 12 hrs i believe Ul tests equipment extesivly before allowing their label on it. Am I saying with 100% accuracy that it can't be done? No but I would not have any problem using it.

Old 03-24-05, 01:04 PM
realwomble
Visiting Guest
Ah, I see. Thanks.