Trouble with Installers Code on a DSC 832 -5010

Old 04-03-05, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trouble with Installers Code on a DSC 832 -5010

Have recently renovated basement and in the interim had disabled alarm system and cancelled central monitoring. Have now move the control panel to a different area (near the electrical panel) and plugged it back in. A trouble code #3 is indicating because I haven't reconnected the RJ-31x jack. Problem is when I enter * 8 5010 to enter programming mode a two second beep sounds. I'm thinking the installer has modified the code without my knowing. Question is whether there's any way around this other than shorting out the panel back to factory default? Am having difficulty reaching original installer to ask him for the code as I don't feel like paying him to come over to disable the telephone line monitor, which I believe it to be. My gut feeling is that even if I do reach him, he won't give me the new code. The thing that bugs me is that the system was bought and paid for and don't believe he should have the right to do that on my property.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-05, 12:32 PM
bluecube
Visiting Guest
I would give the installer another try, he very likely will tell you the new installer code. If he doesn't, default it and program from scratch. Since you are no longer monitored, the programming will be very simple and could be finished in a matter of minutes.

As to the installer changing the default code, it is standard practice by any pro. Just think of the massive back door that would leave to your system. Anybody could read this forum, where the default code has been discussed many times, and have total access to your system. Not a good idea for your security and it exposes the installer to unnecessary liability.

Good luck

Old 04-03-05, 03:20 PM
Thanks BlueCube, it's a good point you made on the liability issue and how easy it would be for anyone in the know to modify your system without your knowledge. I was thinking more on the lines that now you would be forced to go back to him instead of another installer, also he sends an annual bill for a little over $20 a month for the monitoring service. Considering some of prices I've seen on the internet I'm thinking he's making some pretty good profit and would want to deter you from switching. I'll keep trying to reach him. He left inside the control panel the installation guide and programming codes with zone setup along with the violation and restore codes for each one. I looked front to back to see if he would have marked it there but he didn't. I do want to reset it back for outside monitoring; it's just that my dog kept setting off the motion sensor. I guess those pet sensors only work so well. I'll probably disconnect that one.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to help on this.

Old 04-03-05, 05:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
If this company has more than one or two employees, I would try the last 4 digits of the company phone number, the last 4 digits of their license number, their street address if it's a 4 digit, and your own house address number (possibly the last 4 digits of _your_ phone number).

Those are the most common gambits.

Old 04-11-05, 06:32 PM
Problem Solved

Just wanted to say thanks to those that helped. On Sunday afternoon the installer called back to apologize for not responding to my calls, he was apparently on vacation for 3 weeks with his family, something he's never had the time to do before, and that was why he never returned my calls. In any case, he did give me the installers code. Initially though we he asked why and I mentioned the trouble code #3 and that I wanted to disable the communicator. He said that probably wasn't it and that if the the light stayed on to call him back. He was right the light remainded on, but I remembered reading about the Line Monitoring and sure enough Section 015, Option 7 was enabled. Once off the light went out.

Thanks again to all, it's really great to have joined a web sight where knowledgeable people really do help others.